Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Whats with the fluid change interval on the manual vs automatics? Seems strange!

Old 06-07-2011, 11:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whats with the fluid change interval on the manual vs automatics? Seems strange!

used to be you never had to replace the fluid is manual transmissions (unless it was contaminated), and autos used to have to be done very 2 years or 40,000 kms.

Now with the NSG370 in the JK it says it has to be replaced every 2 years, but a auto can go 4????

Is it a misprint in the 2011 manual?
Old 06-07-2011, 12:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Noxian
used to be you never had to replace the fluid is manual transmissions (unless it was contaminated), and autos used to have to be done very 2 years or 40,000 kms.

Now with the NSG370 in the JK it says it has to be replaced every 2 years, but a auto can go 4????

According to the Write-Up on Project-JK:

As a part of good routine maintenance, it is highly recommended that you service your NSG 370 manual transmission once every 30,000 miles.

You can check it out here:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ission-service
Old 06-07-2011, 12:09 PM
JK Jedi

I never really went by the manuals.

I will change out my manual Tranny fluid every year basically especially if I play in the mud & water in my off-road adventures. Cost maybe $30-35 to put in 2-quarts of synthetic synchromesh fluid into the Manual tranny & 1/2hr of your time. I call it cheap insurance & it's fun working on your own Jeep!
Old 06-07-2011, 12:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Strange. You recall a time when transmission oil never had to be changed, and I can only recall times when it had to be changed, (usually 30,000 miles).
Old 06-07-2011, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

I only ever had one vehicle that did not have a manual transmission fluid change requirement and that was a 1990 Ford Festiva. There wasn't even a drain plug on the transmission.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HHaase
Can't remember a vehicle that didn't have SOME kind of replacement schedule for manual transmissions.

Over time condensation does get in there and various other contaminants, and unlike an automatic there's generally no filtration.

-Hans
my 04 TJ Rubicon with a NV3550 5spd only said to check the fluid every 20,000kms not to replace it unless it was contaminated.

looking back in the older JK owners manuals on Jeep.com in 08 and 07 it was still similar to my TJ, maybe Jeep get abit more long term results from all the vehicles on the roads and decided it would be better to change the fluid more offten.

Still strange the autos have a longer interval since the fluid in a auto is used for actuation, lubrication and cooling, where as the oil in a Manual is only used for lubrication.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:43 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I'm not going to crack open the manual again, but I did search for the change requirement for the 2007 Jeep Wrangler for the manual tranny. It is not listed anywhere in the manual; it always just says to check the level and add as necessary.

I also recollect many vehicles that never stated a time/mileage change requirement for the manual tranny (I've owned stick shifts for all of my four-plus decades of driving). But, in general, informal recommendations (from the gear heads, not the factory) were at 100K miles.

Anyway, if anyone could please tell me what page in the 2007 owners manual I overlooked the manual tranny fluid change requirement, I'd appreciate it.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:47 PM
JK Freak

The difference makes sense. An auto is (or should be) finished to a better degree, and it has a filter and cooling. The manual is probably a little bit rougher to begin with, YOU control the shifts so they may be harder or at least not optimal (such as hard hits from the clutch coming down too fast), and there is no filtration.

The real surprise to me is that the manual would say every 4 years for the auto. That seems unusually soon for a recommendation in the manual even if it is good practice.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I'm not going to crack open the manual again, but I did search for the change requirement for the 2007 Jeep Wrangler for the manual tranny. It is not listed anywhere in the manual; it always just says to check the level and add as necessary.
Correct on 2007 manual. I don't know about later models.

I cracked open the manual:

Maintaining proper level is mentioned on p.376. Next page, p.377, says fluid is "good for life of vehicle" unless contaminated with water. Schedule B on p.407 says to check level and add at 30,000 miles (but no need to change/replace). Same at 60,000 (p.409), 90,000... Just check and top up, except if contaminated.

http://project-jk.com/images/pdf/200...ler_Manual.pdf
Old 06-08-2011, 11:21 PM
JK Newbie

Hmmm? I just checked the 2011 Owners Manual online at Jeep (dot-com) website and on page 520 it say manual transmission fluid is good for life of vehicle under normal operation conditions.

Maybe you do have a misprint. Or maybe it's different in the Canadian manuals, I didn't try to search Jeep's dot-ca website to see if Canadian manual might be different. I'll see if I can find it on the dot-ca website.

Quick Reply: Whats with the fluid change interval on the manual vs automatics? Seems strange!