Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What's the difference between dealer cost and invoice?

Old 09-07-2007, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ghostship is right on, and typed it better than I ever could have.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

+1, THANK YOU Ghostship!
Old 09-07-2007, 03:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ghostship,

The biggest problem and if various to a degree from dealer to dealer is that you never no when they are telling the truth or only part of the truth. They always play their damn games.

We test drove a Rodeo for my wife and we were intitially interested in a Sport with the removable hared top but with a V6. we out on the road and it was a wuss. Popped the hood and there was a 4 banger, a 2.2 on top of it and not the old venerable 2.6. They dind't have it with a V6 and the fool could have saved his time and ours. We werent' going to by the 4 banger.

When I bought my JK last month, I don't thing anyone at the Tally dealer new jack crap about a JK. I new more than they did. They could only parrot, "Wranglers sell them self" so there is no profit in them. I had a quote in writing on 2 jks and went to the lot. One was already sold, ok. The other they added a couple of thousand 2. We dickered which pissed me off since I had a written quote. I offered the written quote. The came back higher. Finally the manager came out and said what will it take to sell it so I counter 700 below the quote. He took it. I don't why the tards didn't just honor the written quote.

The point I'm making is there is a lot of game playing which really only wastes my time because I usually know what I want when I get there.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Basically, MSRP is the sticker.
Invoice price is what the dealer "pays" for the vehicle.
Suppliers price is 1% below invoice.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

invoice might be what the dealer actually pays for the vehicle... but its not what they actually "pay" for the vehicle
Old 09-08-2007, 09:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hence the quotation marks around "pays". Its what they pay minus any rebates and bonuses they get. But they do not get the bonuses till the end of the month. Thats why if you want a great deal; wait and talk to a dealer on one of the 3 last days of a month. If they have not yet made their monthly quoata, they will be more likely to go to "invoice price" or even lower, or throw in other extras to make the deal and get their bonus.

Quick Reply: What's the difference between dealer cost and invoice?