Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What is in your tool bag

Old 10-22-2020, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 406 Likes on 381 Posts
Question What is in your tool bag

Putting together a tool bag and interested in what sockets - wrenches - SIZES along with spare parts does your Tool Bag Have? Not looking to carry sockets and wrenches that are not going to be used..i.e; 7mm socket or 5/8 box end.. I believe that all on the JKs are METRIC. Looking forward to finding out what is in the Tool Bag.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:12 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Some philosophical thought on this subject:

1) Yes, the JK is "all metric", however, mods may not be.
2) Carrying only the exact tools your rig needs means you may not have a tool needed to help someone else who wasn't so careful.
3) It also means you may not have the tool for an unexpected situation, such as when pulling a trailer that is all SAE.
4) Depending on where you go with your Jeep, your tool needs may be more or less critical. If you rock crawl in Moab or a local offroad park, then you're pretty much guaranteed that if you come up short a tool for whatever reason (Even if you've perfected your list, they sometimes do break), someone will be around or a nearby shop or recovery service will be able to help you out. However, if you travel into remote places, such as the Dempster Highway north of the Arctic Circle, you could be waiting a long while for necessary help.

With those thoughts in mind, if you care to sit though a video that does not specifically list out every tool, but does describe what recovery and hand tools I carry, with some thoughts on reducing what you do carry, I have one on my YouTube channel. Bear in mind that I fall into that class of folks who occasionally hang out where I cannot expect help in a reasonable amount of time, so carry quite a bit more. This is actually what I call a Studio Chat on my channel, following a video about driving part of the TransAmericaTrail. If this interests you, you can skip all that and go straight to part 10 at 19:10 to watch just the discussion of tools ...

Skip to 19:10 if not forwarded ...
The following users liked this post:
user 729872082 (10-28-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for .. good vid and Info.
Mark Doiron (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 04:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

I saw this thread last night and was responding this morning. I see Mark responded in the time I wrote this up overnight and a lot of this thought process is what he laid out as well.

For tools, I’d much rather be someone offering to help than stuck and needing help, so I take everything. I know it’s overkill, but you never know what you might be working on and it might not be another JK. Years ago I build a “trunk” a la Ronjenx’s model and it fits everything I need for the trail. I have a good set of sockets/wrenches in a molded case that slides in back there, and all my other hand tools go in 1 simple bag. Torx drivers, screwdrivers, vice grips, snips, metric and standard ratcheting wrenches, bit crescents (including a 2’ one), pliers, needle nose, wire strippers (never know), simple punches, set of picks, various extensions. I mean, it all fits in 1 bag so it’s not a huge deal, and when I get home it all just goes back up on pegboard so it doesn’t take buy 5 minutes to get them organized again. Some stuff just stays in the trunk full time….few simple tools, 2’ breaker bars, torque wrench, cheaper socket set that is a spare, etc.

I also keep some random things in the trunk. A decent moving blanket (padding for having to lay on rocks), good 3” ratchet straps, jumper cables, fuses, tire plug kit, tire valve stem kit with extra valves, extra lug nuts, Fiskars hatchet, dead blow hammer/mallet.

I have another smaller bag which has every bolt I’ve removed or replaced from the jeep that I’ve kept as spares. Each is in a small ziplock along with a piece of paper that has the bolt size/thread and what it was originally for. You just never know when you or a friend might need something. I also keep my old factory brake lines in this bag.

In regard to spare parts, I just take my spare tire for wheelin trips that are ~3hr away. For something like a Moab trip on which I could break something, I think of anything that could render the jeep immobile and try to be prepared. A lot of people don’t think about the fact that a semi-float rear axle shaft that breaks could leave you dead in the water. Last trip to Moab was before my last axle swap and I trucked along spare set of rear axles shafts just in case (even chromoly shafts can break). Spare u-joint for drive shaft or front axles shafts is always good to have on hand. Brake lines are another one of those things (as mentioned above). Since many upgrade the lines anyhow, the old ones are easy to take and don’t eat up much space…..and new copper washers are a good idea to keep with em.

On a Moab type trip I take all the fluids that could leave you dead in the water too. A full gallon of concentrate coolant, couple gallons of distilled water that pulls double duty for hydration in a real pinch, oil, gear oil, ATF4.

I know that all seems like way more than anyone needs to take. Way back when I was starting out my buddies and I just made sure at least one of us had tools on a trip. When someone actually has to fix something (me), you start to realize how much stuff was not brought, and also, you like to think other peoples tools are same quality that you have, but when you’re using a POS tool while laying in mud under the jeep you get pissed off pretty quick. After being in that situation one time, I vowed to be as self-sufficient as possible on any wheelin trip. That mentality has worked well for me for several years. It means taking more than necessary, but again, I’d much rather be the one lending a helping hand than needing one.

I know that doesn’t really answer the question from the OP, or at least in the way you wanted. I think the question that I would ask is if there are any tools you might ever need that are NOT part of a normal set. Along the lines of a 13mm 12-pt socket for unit bearing bolts, or a tiny 5/16 box wrench for a lot of after market DC drive shafts bolts (at TC side u-joint), or 36mm socket for front axle shaft nut, etc. But, a lot of these things also depend on how hard someone wheels.

Finally along these same lines……anyone that goes out and wheels more than light fire road type things needs to know how to fix their junk. This is the biggest reason I’m always a proponent of people doing their own work at home, and a big reason I’m willing to help out with steps or advice on jobs. If people can’t perform a task on the garage floor, what are they gonna do when out in the field and having a problem? You know, the weekend warrior types. Oh well, I’m ranting and rambling now.

Mark Doiron (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks, enjoyed reading and it goes with my original thoughts.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'll have to compile a list when I'm back in front of my bag but pretty much I have a duplicate of all tools for all jobs that I've done that I'd need to do to get off the trail. I've done a few simple fixes, but I like having all of the tools to do it the right way without sweating if I'll have the right tool or not.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:31 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

For parts I have a serpentine belt, crank, cam position, map,and intake temperature sensors. And of course an OBD2 scanner and multi-meter. Also have a couple of those plastic bushings for the transfer case linkage, silicone sealer, super glue, fuses, tape, and some wire + connectors. Basically, just light weight stuff that might save the day.

I use an old craftsman tool bag. Parts + tools weigh ~40 pounds. Smallest socket/wrench is 8mm and the largest is about the size for the track-bar and ca bolts. There's probably a size in there that actually isn't (commonly) used, but it doesn't come to mind. There's a heavy 26mm socket (I think that's the size) for the front axle nut in there too. Torx, regular and phillips drivers plus some other small tools. Hammer, a couple cresents, and my personal favorite a light weight aluminum monkey wrench.

Been thinking about paring the tools down and lighten it up a bit, but the weight is mostly in the big suff like the hammer, 1/2" drive breaker bar, 1/2" drive ratchet, etc.

Old 10-24-2020, 03:23 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
I believe that all on the JKs are METRIC.
I replaced shocks today and removed my rear coils to shove some airbags in em. In the process, I realized how many bolts (TB, shocks, sway bar links) had been replaced with grade 8 and it made me think about a lot of aftermarket parts that come with new bolts. Thought of your metric comment here in the OP.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Good Point - true.. put a Barricade bumper on and the metric OEM are a different thread than the metric Barricade's.. Not for the Road tool bag but better have a good Tap & Die set in the Big Box in the Garage.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! lots of good information here.

Quick Reply: What is in your tool bag