Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What Torque Wrench to Buy?

Old 01-02-2011, 04:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What Torque Wrench to Buy?

I searched and did not find anything on the topic. I've got wheel spacers and a lift that will be going on shortly. I've never owned a torque wrench before so I'm in the market. So go buy a $80 kobalt at lowes or do you have another idea?

I'm seeing some $20-$30 options on amazon, but not too interested in buying a POS. However, I won't be using it very often once I get this all installed. I do want to buy rather than rent from the auto store.

Thanks for the opinions.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always been partial to Craftsman tools. No particular reason, they just have always done well for me and are reasonably priced for good quality. I prefer the beam type torque wrench rather than the dial-a-torque that clicks. I have had many torque wrenches over the years and the dial-a-torque wrenchs always end up needing to be recalibrated. The beam type never needs recalibrating.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul R
I prefer the beam type torque wrench rather than the dial-a-torque that clicks. I have had many torque wrenches over the years and the dial-a-torque wrenchs always end up needing to be recalibrated. The beam type never needs recalibrating.
That's exactly what I would have written had I been quicker at the keyboard.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys.. Beam type craftsman appears to be about $25.. seems like a no-brainer rather than dropping $80 on a click type.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:27 PM
JK Freak

how often do you think the craftsmen click type will need re calibrating? I got one on black friday for $25 1/2 in drive
Old 01-02-2011, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rafi
how often do you think the craftsmen click type will need re calibrating? I got one on black friday for $25 1/2 in drive
Always set it at zero when not in use.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Click type is quicker when torquing wheels. Fwiw.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

as long as you make sure and remove the load on the internals it should not need calibrated for a good long while at least in my experience... I'm still borrowing one of my brothers since he has 4 and it is the twist to set kind.... its still good and I've had it for 2 years and its atleast 7 years old. Just have to remember to loosen it up before stowing it
Old 01-02-2011, 05:33 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Rafi
I've seen quite a few, including Snap-On, that needed calibration right out of the box.
I've junked many click-type torque wrenches because they came back from the calibration lab tagged "Cannot Calibrate. Non-linear".

I've never had a beam-type fail calibration that pointed to "0" when at rest.

There are times a click-type is more user friendly, but I wouldn't own one now that I don't have access to "free" calibration.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:49 PM
JK Freak

X2 on the craftsman. Never had a bad experience with em. Beam or clicker just a matter of preference and how much you want to spend.

Quick Reply: What Torque Wrench to Buy?