Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What is this sound?

Old 07-01-2011, 10:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this sound?

I've got a loud creaking sound coming from what sounds like the front axle. It's not a clicking sound. I only hear it at low speeds over bumps. Everything feels fine on the road. Any ideas? Sorry it's kind of hard to describe. I can try to record it if that helps.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Stand on the front bumper and kind of hop up and down flexing your suspension if that is not the sound you are hearing, crawl under your jeep and inspect everything for tightness grab a hold of a part and yank tug push or pull on it (KEEP IN MIND there are certain steering components will move such as the the drag link and steering tierods that connect to the steering knuckle. Grab the Drive Line and give that a tug or yank lift it up and let it down and see if there is any play in that as well. I would also lift the front tires off the ground and check Ball joints as well by seeing if there is any verticle play in the wheel by lifting the bottom of the tire up. (DO NOT MISTAKE THE COMPRESSING OF THE SUSPENSION AS BALL JOINT PLAY) look for slop in bearing play such as wheel bearing or ball joint play you can also remove the tire and using a long prybar stick it inbetween the steering knuckle and another hard surface to check for play (IF YOU ARE NOT SURE HOW TO DONT!!!! DUE TO POSSIBLY DAMAGING A PART). There is alot that could possibly be the culprit. but hopefully it isn't a key integral part and hopefully may just need some type of lubrication to fix the problem....
Old 07-01-2011, 04:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mutts08JK
Stand on the front bumper and kind of hop up and down flexing your suspension if that is not the sound you are hearing, crawl under your jeep and inspect everything for tightness grab a hold of a part and yank tug push or pull on it (KEEP IN MIND there are certain steering components will move such as the the drag link and steering tierods that connect to the steering knuckle. Grab the Drive Line and give that a tug or yank lift it up and let it down and see if there is any play in that as well. I would also lift the front tires off the ground and check Ball joints as well by seeing if there is any verticle play in the wheel by lifting the bottom of the tire up. (DO NOT MISTAKE THE COMPRESSING OF THE SUSPENSION AS BALL JOINT PLAY) look for slop in bearing play such as wheel bearing or ball joint play you can also remove the tire and using a long prybar stick it inbetween the steering knuckle and another hard surface to check for play (IF YOU ARE NOT SURE HOW TO DONT!!!! DUE TO POSSIBLY DAMAGING A PART). There is alot that could possibly be the culprit. but hopefully it isn't a key integral part and hopefully may just need some type of lubrication to fix the problem....
Thanks. I didnt think about the driveline. I'll go through that check list and see if I discover anything.

Quick Reply: What is this sound?