Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What size hitch drop?

Old 10-14-2009, 04:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by itasor
Thanks for the quick reply! I was looking at the adjustable one from Harbor Freight, but I was hoping to get one of those ones with the cutout for the ball (to make it easier to tighten).

Wow that seems like a big drop. If you have a 2" lift and a 7" is perfect, that means I would probably need a 5" drop with my stock suspension.

I'm guessing it depends on a trailer a bit too. This is the trailer: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42709
Why is the cut out important? I put my ball on once and have never taken it off? I think I actually put it on in the store using their wrenches and then just told the cashier they were 2 separate parts...I had no need to buy a wrench I would never use again...

Anyhow, I have a HF trailer as well...like I said, I bought and returned about 3 or 4 different hitches before I settled on the 6" and it works good enuf...should've got the adjustable tho...
Old 10-14-2009, 05:02 PM
JK Super Freak

if you're just picking it up, try and borrow 2-5 inch drop off of someone (neighbor, friend, etc.). then you can measure and buy the proper height once you get home.

other than that, I use a 6" drop on my boat trailer that has 8" wheels, it's not enough, but I'm up 2.5" and on 35's
Old 10-15-2009, 08:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmat1980
I think I actually put it on in the store using their wrenches and then just told the cashier they were 2 separate parts...I had no need to buy a wrench I would never use again...
Doesn't it need to be like 250 ft. lbs.? I assumed the easiest way to do it would be to put the mount in the hitch, and then tighten the ball. How could you hold onto it in the store good enough to make it that tight? It's a good idea though!
Old 10-15-2009, 08:58 AM
JK Newbie

insert the hitch into the store display receiver, put the ball into the hitch and use their wrench to tighten.

I should have done that...

I have a huge wrench that I have used once.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have this: harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95991

I'm wondering if, when adjusted up to 5", if the part hanging down interferes with safety chains.

Quick Reply: What size hitch drop?