Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What should I look for in my first jeep?? HELP!!

Old 01-20-2014, 04:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I look for in my first jeep?? HELP!!

Okay, so I live in eastern NC (GO PIRATES!) and I am looking for my first Jeep! I have a buddy who ive known since I was born who has an 08 Wrangler and I am in love with it and I want one for my daily driver, but to also go off-road with on the weekends! I know a little about jeeps from doing research and helping my buddy with putting about every mod he has done on his Jeep but I need a little help from yall. My price range is $15,000 so unfortunately I cant get a really nice Jeep I already know that, but with 15 grand what condition JK am I looking at? Im not too worried about the color as long as its not too crazy, but I would prefer an automatic if that would be in my price range! So with all that being said, what am I looking at? Any information would help me!

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2014, 05:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If I was on that budget, I'd go with a nice LJ or a 08-10 2 door JK. Don't get roped in to paying too much for Sahara's, Dealership installed mod's, and such. Contact a local 4x4 shop in your area and ask them if the know of anyone selling.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:36 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah, I'm thinking about a 2 door JK because the TJ's are just a little to thin and it's not really comfortable for a big guy like myself. But what kind of 4x4 shop are you talking about? I know of a place called Super trucks near me but I'm not sure how much they could help me lol
Old 01-20-2014, 07:08 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Personally, I'd look for a single-owner jeep that's bone-stock (don't want to buy anybody's problems), drives well (test drive over railroad tracks, manhole covers, etc; normal road stuff), never been off-road (look at the skid plates underneath for scratches), and has never been to the beach (even if you plan to take it to the beach).
Old 01-20-2014, 08:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cfr
Personally, I'd look for a single-owner jeep that's bone-stock (don't want to buy anybody's problems), drives well (test drive over railroad tracks, manhole covers, etc; normal road stuff), never been off-road (look at the skid plates underneath for scratches), and has never been to the beach (even if you plan to take it to the beach).
X's 2,,, your stock used jeep you purchase will wheel better than you think,, you will know it wasnt abused, and as your budget allows, you will be able to decide for yourself what mods you want to make. As anyone on this thread will tell you,, the best part of owning a jeep is making it your own!! good luck!
Old 01-20-2014, 09:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Look on the billboard here on the forum under Jeep Recycler.. Saw one on there tonight for a good price.. Buy a one way plane ticket and drive your new Jeep home!!
Old 01-20-2014, 09:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jeep...63k-mi-292969/
There's the link to it.. Not an auto, but it's in your price range if you buy it w the soft top only.. Plus it's already got mods and comes w/ existing warranty.. Good luck bud!!
Old 01-21-2014, 05:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by o09jkny
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jeep...63k-mi-292969/
There's the link to it.. Not an auto, but it's in your price range if you buy it w the soft top only.. Plus it's already got mods and comes w/ existing warranty.. Good luck bud!!
I was looking at that jeep but it's $900 over my price range and unfortunately I don't have $900 extra to spend at at the moment. I was looking at my local Craigslist and almost nobody around me has a bone stock jeep! A lot of them are modded or are asking WAY too much. But I'll keep looking an hopefully something will pop up! Also, if one has a salvage title and it had suspension damage but it was fixed should I be good? Normally I stay away from suspension damage but with jeeps the parts are so easily replaceable with new parts I don't think I should be worried. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 01-21-2014, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Look out for the 2007 2 doors as some had a dana 35 rear
Old 01-21-2014, 02:02 PM
JK Newbie

What's wrong with the dana 35? I know the 44 is the one you want but is there a problem with the 35?

Quick Reply: What should I look for in my first jeep?? HELP!!