Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What octane are you guys using?

Old 11-20-2011, 07:11 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone have proof that more "detergents" is a stood thing? I mean, more of a good thing doesn't always make it better. JW because we have had multiple vehicles run to 200k miles on cheap gas, cheap oil, no fancy additives. I just can't buy into all these more expensive goodies for a placebo effect.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use 87 and haven't had any problems (knock on wood).
Old 11-20-2011, 07:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

87, that's what the engine was engineered for.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Riptide
Please tell me you went and did some research before taking 1 poster's word for something off the internet.
You're talking research???

OK....let's go back to your original post because I have a question in regards to one of your comments.

Mine is tuned for 87, but I run 91. I find I get slightly better mileage (especially on highway). If I could find 87 enthonal free gas, then I'd get that... but it is what it is. I'm considering switching back to 87 for the winter due to the insane amount of idling I do (-30c will do that).
OK, please explain to me what going back to 87 octane for idling purposes does for you in cold weather. I'm looking to be educated, so please inform.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:20 PM
JK Newbie

Default Saves money?

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Please explain to me what going back to 87 octane for idling purposes does for you in cold weather. I'm looking to be educated, so please inform.

I think he was referring to saving money, its cheaper, his car idles longer, burns more fuel at a lower cost?

I always run 87. I always thought that the OBDII and oxygen sensors would adjust for whatever octane I ran.

But count me into the uneducated. I grew up on carbs and leaded gas...
Old 11-20-2011, 05:36 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run 87, mostly Shell and some BP because they both have detergent cleaners. I used to run Walmart gas (with ethenol) in my wife's minivan and had carbon build up issues causing me to have to either replace the EGR valve or clean the carbon out ever year.

Guess I'll find out in a few years if this helps me avoid the problem.

BTW... I use Seafoam about once every 2-3 months in the gas tank.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I'm not referring to the info posted. I was referring to the comment. Someone posts something saying someone else is wrong and puts some info in their post. Then someone else thanks them for their info and pledges to change their habits. My point is simply don't take anything for granted and do some research yourself. This the internet... anyone can post something and make it sound intelligent.

As for your question, I've proven to myself time and time again that I get better mileage with 91 than I do 87. However in the winter (its -30c outside right now), the JK idles a lot as it's warming up (before work, after work, lunch, etc). So while I'll I get more out of a tank with 91, most of it's being wasted while I'm idling it (usually at least 25-30 mins a day when it's this cold). I'll have to run a few tanks to see how much of a difference it'll make. But if I'm gonna waste it warming up the JK, it might as well be the cheap stuff.
gocha....I thought there might be some idling in cold weather vs. octane rating thingy that I wasn't aware of
Old 11-20-2011, 09:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

I've proven to myself time and time again that I get better mileage with 91 than I do 87.
I've always believed that if an engine, designed to run on 87, gets better performance/mileage on 91, it's because something is wrong, preventing it from running well on the 87.

I wonder if the 91 you get has less ethanol in it. That would explain a lot.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:19 AM
JK Super Freak

I get better gas mileage with 91. Almost 50 more miles to the tank. I also get better gas mileage with chevron than 7/11.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I run 89 w/ 10% ethanol, runs fine, and around here is at least .10 cheaper than 87

Quick Reply: What octane are you guys using?