Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What model to modify and which is better to do?

Old 05-02-2007, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mpuk
I don't get why there aren't more people buying up the Sahara with the locking rear axle and the swaybar disconnect, and then adding some BFG Mud Terrains to that...much cheaper than a Rubicon and basically the same thing...!

No they are not the same thing, the Rubi also has a front locker, a front Dana 44, and 4:1 gearing in the T-case
Old 05-02-2007, 05:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffmarion
No they are not the same thing, the Rubi also has a front locker, a front Dana 44, and 4:1 gearing in the T-case
and Rubi owners won't cry when they scrape the hell out of the fenders....
Old 05-02-2007, 05:53 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by degenerate
and Rubi owners won't cry when they scrape the hell out of the fenders....

I did not cry. pouting is not technically crying. :toung:
Old 05-02-2007, 05:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right, but I guess if you aren't much of a rock crawler, you can do without the upgraded transfer case and the front locker and just do all the other Sahara upgrades.

I feel like people miss this option altogether, and think either they want and can afford the Rubicon, or they'll just get the cheaper X and modify it...

(Can you tell I ordered a Sahara?)
Old 05-02-2007, 06:07 AM
Eternal ***erator

I view my Sahara as a capable, modifiable, good place to start.

a "starter Jeep" as it where. I love the thing, but the next one will be a Ruby.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
I view my Sahara as a capable, modifiable, good place to start.

a "starter Jeep" as it where. I love the thing, but the next one will be a Ruby.
So since I started this thread I have gotten a lot of feedback and I really appreciate it and it seems that the Rubicon come off the lot with some nice things on it already. So it seems that in the long run I would be better going with the Rubicon and probably save more money with the fewer modifications that the Rubicon would require.

But I guess the question would be if the Rubicon parts would hold up as well to the vigors of off road as well as a sahara that has been modified for the same purpose that the rubicon is already equipped with. Of course that would include a lift and things to make the rubi capable.

I guess the question is to those who have the rubicon. Has it held up well to the vigors of offroad the way you would have liked?
Old 05-02-2007, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I questioned this very thing. I was considering the X unlimited. But when we got my wifes TJ Unlimited last year we immediately went off roading...And her's is not a Rubicon. But it does have a lot of good stuff on it. And i was going to go that route...BUT, if I got a jeep i figured we would get even more involved with off roading etc...So I went with the Rubicon for reason of: Stronger Front (D44 front and rear) and all the other good stuff...it was cheaper in the long run.

Anyway...I love it.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:39 AM
Eternal ***erator

This is a subject of rather heated debate. It falls along the same line as Jeep vs. Hummer in many respects. There are good points on both sides, and you likely wont find either side ever coming into agreement. So you will just need to look at it objectively and decide what & where you need/fit into the debate.

The Rubi costs more, but has better equipment in key areas. Do you have the mechanical knowledge to add that onto a Sahara or X model, if so, Do you have a source to get those options at a reasonable enough cost to make it actually cheaper? Some can, some cant. Will you actually use/need all of those upgrades? (I know i wont, but some i would, like the lockers & disco) I agree with Jeep School about crying only once...

Oh, and Teraflew i believe is for sniffles, not lifts :toung:
Old 05-02-2007, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
Oh, and Teraflew i believe is for sniffles, not lifts :toung:
OK so I understand you don't like teraflex but WHY? Let me know why you feel this way I am trying to get facts and info not unbacked opinions. Also tell me which is better and why you feel that way. You know give me some info.

Thanks for your input however.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by jetsupra007
OK so I understand you don't like teraflex but WHY? Let me know why you feel this way I am trying to get facts and info not unbacked opinions. Also tell me which is better and why you feel that way. You know give me some info.

Thanks for your input however.

Wow, tough crowd. It was a joke dude.

I like the Teraflex just fine.

The only lift issues i know of for sure with any kit are that there is a question when using the track bar relocation bracket possibly causing undue stress & breakage. Other than that, your probably going to get mostly unbacked opinions. The thing is new, lifts havent been on them long enough for anyone to have a solid set of facts in any direction.

Quick Reply: What model to modify and which is better to do?