Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What model to modify and which is better to do?

Old 05-01-2007, 09:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What model to modify and which is better to do?

I just want to know which is the better and in the long run more feasible idea to build a great jeep JK?

Should I go less expensive model with no options (i.e. unlimited sahara nothing added, base model) and just put the best on it?

OR...

Get the unlimited rubicon and then make the upgrades that it doesn't come with?

I apologize before hand if this has already been asked if so just direct me to the link and I will follow with my tail between my legs.

Thanks,
Jesse
Old 05-01-2007, 09:22 PM
JK Newbie

You are not the first to ask, nor will you be the last...

It depends on what you want to do with the Jeep. Are you planning to do some challenging wheeling, or just want the offroad look?

Assuming you want to actually wheel your Jeep, you cannot go wrong with the Rubicon--Lockers, sway bar discos, 4:1 transfer case, D44 front and rear--a fairly expensive and difficult set of mods to do aftermarket, with little or no warranty.

And, car loan interest rates are much better than credit card rates!

"Buy the best and cry only once..."
Old 05-01-2007, 09:32 PM
JK Newbie

I appreciate your frankness seriously. I am a member of other forums and I knew what might come. So to answer your questions Yes I would definetly wheel it down at moab quite a bit and other places too. But it would also be a daily driver but I am willing to compensate for less on road comfort to get more off road capability. For example I like the Teraflew 6 inch long arm system but I don't think I am going to need that much suspension. So I thought that maybe a 4 inch would suffice. I do however wnat to fit 37s under no problem.

Thanks again and I am willing to be able to accept other remaks/opinions.

Keep 'em coming
Old 05-01-2007, 09:38 PM
JK Super Freak

I have to agree with jeep school, start with a great jeep, then add on your lift. You won't be sorry.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jetsupra007
I appreciate your frankness seriously. I am a member of other forums and I knew what might come. So to answer your questions Yes I would definetly wheel it down at moab quite a bit and other places too. But it would also be a daily driver but I am willing to compensate for less on road comfort to get more off road capability. For example I like the Teraflew 6 inch long arm system but I don't think I am going to need that much suspension. So I thought that maybe a 4 inch would suffice. I do however wnat to fit 37s under no problem.

Thanks again and I am willing to be able to accept other remaks/opinions.

Keep 'em coming
Ide get the 6" long arm kit for 37's for sure.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by FRDesign
Ide get the 6" long arm kit for 37's for sure.
With that kit and 37s ,will rubbing not be an issue?
Old 05-01-2007, 10:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it sounds like you will be doing, get the Rubicon, you will be money ahead in the long run. I have 37's on mine and it is a daily driver, and you really do not lose much on road comfort at all. The only discomfort is getting in sometimes You can feel the bumps a little more but that is about it. You can thank that long wheelbase for that.

BTW i have a 4" kit and 37's with very little rubbing, But hopefully the new front bumper will take care of that.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Get a Rubi.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm using my Rubi as a daily commuter, and taking it offroad for the first time this weekend. So, I can talk about driving on the street with some level of experience...

My stock Rubicon is great for 75-80mph on the highway. Rides much more smoothly than any other Wranglers I have been in. Over 80mph and it's difficult to keep it straight and in the lane.

Bad day two days ago... 75mph and 30mph gusts of crosswinds in NH. Occasionally the hood would "bulge" upward slightly as a gust hit the wrong way, and it was more difficult to keep in the lane. Just like any box-shaped car.

So I drive too fast. And the Rubi is still okay with that. If you want great mileage, get a Matrix. But as an EDC commuter, I like my Rubi.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:52 AM
JK Newbie

I don't get why there aren't more people buying up the Sahara with the locking rear axle and the swaybar disconnect, and then adding some BFG Mud Terrains to that...much cheaper than a Rubicon and basically the same thing...!

Quick Reply: What model to modify and which is better to do?