Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What means "Sure, it'll work fine"?

Old 03-13-2008, 07:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What means "Sure, it'll work fine"?

This thread is for all of you mod'ers out there that has experienced that JK-Forum "don't worry, be happy" modification but found out later that not all threads are created equal. Some examples:
  • There are various opinions that a short (3") lift should be no problem with the stock JK front drive shaft. Just replaced mine after ripping the boot. Found out when it was off that the CV joint was already showing signs of wear after only 3000 miles.
  • Tons (many, dozens, several, a lot) of discussion about CAIs and performance (or lack thereof).
  • Tires that "fit" only to find out that under flex a spacer, wheel well trimming, or a new wheel is really needed.
  • Brake lines on a lifted JK that stretch a little too far under extreme 4wd conditions.
  • Any other mods that looked good based on forum feedback but turned out to "too good to be true" (or maybe even "worked OK but...)
Let's hear your experiences where you did a modification after "researching" this Forum. There's a lot of people making changes based off of the info on this forum only to find out later they missed the mark.

The idea is not to trash this forum. God no! There's a ton of good stuff and helpful info to be found! I'm just wondering how many JK'ers made what they would now consider an ill-formed decision. Maybe it will help others in understanding that a little feedback is good, but a lot is better!

Bash as you see fit.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:47 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To me the problem is there are WAY too many threads on the same damn subject. Not trashing the mods here, but some threads could be consolidated or even removed. I mean come on, how many threads are there on "What BB should I use?" and on and on. Like the old saying goes. Ask 100 people their opinion and get 100 different opinions. There's so much info on here, some of it's bound not to work out.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see too many posts with incorrect or misleading information. There is some great info here, but there is also some pretty messy BS. I also see a trend where people think that because they have it all figured out on the forum, that they don't need to take care of their own JK and really check things out when they mod.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:11 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by adaycj
I see too many posts with incorrect or misleading information. There is some great info here, but there is also some pretty messy BS. I also see a trend where people think that because they have it all figured out on the forum, that they don't need to take care of their own JK and really check things out when they mod.
Agreed. That's why I give advise or talk only about what I KNOW. You'll not see me comment much on electronics and such. I know some about computer diagnosis and driveability, but my main areas are suspension drivetrain and engine. Got a touch over 30 years at it.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:19 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by adaycj
Good point, I try and stick to what I know or have 1st hand experience with. Or at least tell the person to take my advice with a grain of salt because Im not 100% sure. I know I do the same will other people's posts too, I take their advice/info into consideration, but I check it out on my own too. I never blindly trust it.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:22 PM
JK Super Freak

anyone can post anything.....

my teraflex 2.5" BB gave me 5 inches of actual lift.....

and people do, they post a lot on subjects they know very limited knowledge on, or will repeat things they heard early....so you just gotta take alot of stuff with grain of salt.

Edit: What im trying to say i guess, is its 99% anecdotal.....people will say things they have experienced, or maybe worked for them....that does not mean it will work for others. or not work.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

All good points.

I'll also add that a combination of the above create condensed versions of answers...which have lost the original context over time.

For example, "does a 33" tire fit w/o rubbing?"

Context 1: A 33" x 10.5" tire was fitted, and cleared easily, as the diameter was only 1/2" of the 32" stock tire.

Context 2: A 33 x 12.5" tire was fitted to an aftermarket rim with 4.75" of BS, and also cleared easily.

Context 3: A 33 x 15" tire was fitted to a 3.5" BS Rim, and cleared easily.

Context 4: A 33 x 12.5" tire was fitted to an oem rim, and rubbed (As it was too wide to clear inboard components, due to to much factory BS, etc...

OK - Joe Newbie reads # 1, 2 & 3 posts above...absorbs the numbers but is weak on context....so, his read on the data is "33's clear easily".

Bob Newbie asks, innocently, "I searched, but I keep seeing different answers....I just want to know if 33's fit w/o rubbing, WHY is that so difficult to answer?".

Joe Newbie perks up...He KNOWS this one!

It's be FINE, don't worry about it!

Neither Joe Newbie or Bob Newbie had a clue about BS, width, etc...just saw "33's", remembered he saw posts saying they cleared...and offers up some "helpful advice".

Instant dilution of expertise with a the easy appearance of a full strength dose.

It can ALSO happen to people WITH experience and knowledge....Mr. Master Mechanic Calls Jeep or an aftermarket company, and asks if they will have a product, or if a product would be appropriate for something, etc....and are then given wrong info...from a "reputable source", etc...and repeat it.

Same effect, just harder to filter, as the level of knowledge in an aside info case is less obvious.

So - NO ONE is infallible....anyone here, myself included, can be given wrong info, misinterpret a question, or have a brain fart on any given issue.

So - You HAVE to use common sense....and at least TRY to understand the contexts of the questions, and the expertise of the answers/answerers, etc.

There are ALOT of people here who have NO CLUE what does what under their trucks...but, they are changing stuff...and they're basing what they change for a large degree on hearsay/casual comments/enthusiastic endorsements or vitrolic damnations, etc.

And, of course, if the average Joe plunks down his hard earned money on a mod....he's a missionary after that...no matter WHAT the question, THEIR mod is the answer.

It human nature.

All the forums are like tis.

Not just jeeps.

Last edited by TEEJ; 03-13-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too many folks confuse opinion with fact. Opinions are just that and you're going to get what you ask for.
Secondly, too many people ask for help then never give any feedback as to whether the advice was helpful and accurate.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cormac827

my teraflex 2.5" BB gave me 5 inches of actual lift.....

I am going to go quote you right now in one of the BB threads, "One member here said his teraflex 2.5" BB gave him 5 inches of actual lift"
Old 03-14-2008, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TEEJ

...So - You HAVE to use common sense....and at least TRY to understand the contexts of the questions, and the expertise of the answers/answerers, etc.

There are ALOT of people here who have NO CLUE what does what under their trucks...but, they are changing stuff...and they're basing what they change for a large degree on hearsay/casual comments/enthusiastic endorsements or vitrolic damnations, etc.

And, of course, if the average Joe plunks down his hard earned money on a mod....he's a missionary after that...no matter WHAT the question, THEIR mod is the answer.

It human nature.

All the forums are like tis.

Not just jeeps.

Great post, Teej!

And I absolutely agree - all forums are like this.

Caveat Emptor (did I spell that right?)

Quick Reply: What means "Sure, it'll work fine"?