Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What makes a Wrangler a Wrangler?

Old 02-07-2011, 06:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orp967
..............If another vehicle came out with all the same basic qualities of the Wrangler but improved upon the glaring deficiencies (i.e. underpowered engine, fuel efficiency, better low-end torque, etc.) would we all jump on the new one or are their "die-hard" Jeepers that'll stay loyal to the brand name?

Another question, does everyone enjoy modifying and customizing or is it just a necessary evil? Other than my wheels and tires (lift kit) all of my other mods have been necessary over cosmetic. I find myself spending more time working extra hours to save up money and shopping online for parts to get this damn thing where it needs to be than on the trails.

Just Empty Every Pocket
Yes, people would. The jeep icon is NOT a name it is the vehicle design and its heritage.

We modify them to make a more capable machine for off-road. A car manufacturer would get sued for offering an unstable on-road machine....which is exactly what happens when you make them perform off-road. I also admit I like the mods to look good as well as perform. With the variety of aftermarket parts well, that is free enterprise at its best.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by him
The fact that Fiat, a company that was driven out of the US market in part by a reputation for utter unreliability, is seen by a lot of people as a step up for Chrysler... well, that kinda makes my point.
FIAT - Fix It Again Tony
Old 02-07-2011, 06:28 AM
JK Jedi

Thanks again for all the post, I'm gathering great info here.

If another vehicle came out with all the same basic qualities of the Wrangler but improved upon the glaring deficiencies (i.e. underpowered engine, fuel efficiency, better low-end torque, etc.) would we all jump on the new one or are their "die-hard" Jeepers that'll stay loyal to the brand name?

Another question, does everyone enjoy modifying and customizing or is it just a necessary evil? Other than my wheels and tires (lift kit) all of my other mods have been necessary over cosmetic. I find myself spending more time working extra hours to save up money and shopping online for parts to get this damn thing where it needs to be than on the trails.

Just Empty Every Pocket
If another company built an off road vehicle that had a removable top and doors, 4x4, better quality and looked great, I would sell my Wrangler in a heart beat.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:33 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If another vehicle came out with all the same basic qualities of the Wrangler but improved upon the glaring deficiencies (i.e. underpowered engine, fuel efficiency, better low-end torque, etc.) would we all jump on the new one or are their "die-hard" Jeepers that'll stay loyal to the brand name?

Just Empty Every Pocket
I do the same when it comes to my flyfishing obsession. If I'm not on the water, I'm looking at new gear, rods, materials, and literature.

We tend to look/shop online in relation to things we love. Since most of us can't go wheeling all the time, looking for parts and ways to modify our rigs helps fill up the time and prepare & excite us for our next venture out!
Old 02-07-2011, 08:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
If another company built an off road vehicle that had a removable top and doors, 4x4, better quality and looked great, I would sell my Wrangler in a heart beat.
THe Fiat 4x4 Panda is for you
VIVA ITALIA

Old 02-07-2011, 08:57 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JKU Rubicon

VIVA ITALIA
You missed the part where I said it has to look great. That looks like a tracker with down syndrome.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:19 AM
JK Freak

Something you take the "wrangler" name off of as soon as you buy it.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
You missed the part where I said it has to look great. That looks like a tracker with down syndrome.
OH BOY!! You done gone and did it!! LMAO
Old 02-07-2011, 10:51 AM
him
JK Enthusiast

I'll get the offering which best fits my needs (when I'm next in the market).

I enjoy modding. I also think most of us get too hung up in modding and equipment.
  • Sports are supposed to be challenging. The reward is overcoming challenge, not reducing the challenge with money.
  • Mods take money from your wheeling fund, and all too often time as well. (E.g. I spent half a Saturday installing a bumper and winch when I could've been wheeling.)
  • Most of us have no need to get anywhere in particular when off-roading. Go around or go back.

My jeep is basically stock and I'd like to keep it that way. I have some bolt-on stuff installed (front bumper, winch, radio, etc.) but no real mods. I can't run all the the obstacles a heavily modded jeep can, but that doesn't cut the reward when I successfully navigate an obstacle that is difficult for me/my jeep. The catalogs are full of temptation but apart from some protective/security/safety gear I've been good so far.

Then again I don't play keep up. I'd rather go solo than with others who are into the heavy mods, usually, because I can be very very competitive and that way leads to broken bones and organ damage. Been there, no thanks.

Where I will mod is when stuff starts to break/wear out. I prefer improvements to repairs.

That could actually be fun in some circumstance, but it isn't exactly in the same class.

Last edited by him; 02-07-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:32 AM
JK Newbie

Default I don't get it

CJ - amc
YJ - amc, then Chrysler
JK - Chrysler, FIAT? (hadn't heard that yet)

I've owned 4 Jeeps - a '90 YJ (part amc, part Chevy 2.5l 4cyl, part Renault w/ 5spd), '99 TJ (Chrysler), a '94 XJ (Chrysler - but designed by Renault?), and an '07 JK (Chrysler).

They were all good, all capable, all fixable, all upgradable.

I'd take any one of them back, loved them all...

But an aerodynamic, 2 seat, sport-Jeep? No thanks. You can have it.

I use my Jeeps for:

Commuting to work
Getting to remote trout streams
Towing boats
Towing cars
Pickup-truck duties
Towing my trailer
Canoe trips
Vacations
Inclement weather vehicle

It does it all... (They all did, actually)

Island Boy...

Quick Reply: What makes a Wrangler a Wrangler?