Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What makes a Wrangler a Wrangler?

Old 02-06-2011, 04:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JKU Rubicon
I don't agree, there is also the Dodge Ram

Like I said earlier ...

Originally Posted by Enclocal
I'll go along with that. The JK is the ONLY mopar product I would ever own.

Sorry
Old 02-06-2011, 08:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by o09jkny
4wd, removable top & doors, fold down windshield, 70 years of tradition.. That about sums it up for me.. My Wrangler gives me a sense of freedom and "go anywhere-ness" that I think no other vehicle can.. When others are hiding in their houses due to inclimate weather, I'm out playing in it!! On the other hand, when the weather is good I cruise around with the wind in my face, without a worry in the world.. Man do I <3 my JEEP Wrangler!!
"MY WRANGLER GIVES ME A SENSE OF FREEDOM..."

This is the #1 reason I bought mine! Not only actual freedom (like being able to take it almost anywhere) but more important metaphoric freedom I believe that this is what the Wrangler symbolizes. I kinda compare it to the Harley Davidson lifestyle only less leather and no tattoos
Old 02-06-2011, 08:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by orp967
Well that's my point exactly, you mentioned there is room for "newer and better" designs. So if a newer and better designed "Wrangler" hit the market would it be embraced or rejected by the Jeep enthusiast. I'm trying to gage if we're loyal to the name Jeep or the actual vehicle itself hmmm??
Just to reiterate, I am loyal to the design. Several companies have held the copyright that does not matter to me. If it is changed to not have the essence then it is something else. If it is just tweaked then yes, I accepted the JK so why not the next generation. I own several 4x4s, owned many more, and will buy 4x4s other than the little jeep. I currently own a 2010 liberty, great handling car, but I don’t call it “the jeep”. I would embrace a better product on its merits.

Chrysler has several concept off-road vehicles with four wheel steering, alternative motor, factory adjustable height, and even adjustable length. I would buy these but would prefer the auto maker call it by a different name and not try to claim the 70 years of heritage. The only reason they can currently justifiably claim the heritage is because of the boxy body that is setting on the modern running gear/power train. If you change the boxy body then you have an entirely new animal, period.

Just as note the "improvements" of 2011 just made the jeep less useful and the manufacturer is digressing from the original purpose of the jeep....utilitarian. If I want a fancy a$$ convertible I will be a BMW. If they went to a weather resistant dash then THAT would be an improvement.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh I guess thats what they decided to name it the greater question here is what if it was named like Jeep Vaquero or Jeep Eastwood or what if it simply stayed Jeep?
Old 02-06-2011, 08:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by him
Speaking for myself, I bought my JK despite the name. Not "jeep" per se - nobody pays attention to that. The JK is a Chrysler, and buying a Chrysler is not something most people want to do.
The JK will be built by Fiat. Is it a new JEEP now ? :rotfl mao2:: rotflmao2:
Old 02-06-2011, 08:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Oh and whats the deal with if its a Four Door its not a "real Jeep" thing I believe the two door and the four door bare the same name. I've heard people say this all the time. I have a CJ and a JK so the CJ is a "Real Jeep" and the JK is a "Unreal Jeep"? I've been wondering this for awhile.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:47 PM
JK Jedi

What makes it a Wrangler is when it's used to round up grazing cattle on the back 40. yeeehaaaa!
Old 02-06-2011, 08:48 PM
JK Junkie

Seven slot grille, round headlights, removable doors, and tops, fold down windshield, being able to house out interior, short wheelbase but now they stretched it, full size spare, made in the usa, and a Jeep you can modify the hell out of and still find something you want to do with it.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:23 AM
him
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKU Rubicon
Speaking for myself, I bought my JK despite the name. Not "jeep" per se - nobody pays attention to that. The JK is a Chrysler, and buying a Chrysler is not something most people want to do.
The JK will be built by Fiat. Is it a new JEEP now ? :rotfl mao2:: rotflmao2:

The fact that Fiat, a company that was driven out of the US market in part by a reputation for utter unreliability, is seen by a lot of people as a step up for Chrysler... well, that kinda makes my point.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks again for all the post, I'm gathering great info here.

If another vehicle came out with all the same basic qualities of the Wrangler but improved upon the glaring deficiencies (i.e. underpowered engine, fuel efficiency, better low-end torque, etc.) would we all jump on the new one or are their "die-hard" Jeepers that'll stay loyal to the brand name?

Another question, does everyone enjoy modifying and customizing or is it just a necessary evil? Other than my wheels and tires (lift kit) all of my other mods have been necessary over cosmetic. I find myself spending more time working extra hours to save up money and shopping online for parts to get this damn thing where it needs to be than on the trails.

Just Empty Every Pocket

Quick Reply: What makes a Wrangler a Wrangler?