Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What makes a Wrangler a Wrangler?

Old 02-05-2011, 03:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Simple,Rugged,Reliable.I guess we don't have Wranglers...
Old 02-05-2011, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mid-quality denim and Brett Favre.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

70 years of a familiar auto design, with a will to go over any tough terrain
Old 02-05-2011, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

A Sure Footed Mule!
Old 02-05-2011, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good looks, 4WD, and a convertible top that includes velcro and zippers.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:15 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

The simple fact that nothing else is.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for most of the post so far, you guys are hilarious!

But the main reason I started this thread was because it's actually starting to become a major issue/concern not only with actual Wranglers but with members on this forum. In another thread regarding the 2012 Wranglers, it's pretty much been confirmed it's getting the new Pentastar engine but there were a couple of sources mentioning something about some design changes, mainly to the exterior making the Wrangler more aerodynamic. I'm definitely all for the engine and am open to the rumored exterior changes if done correctly. I'm not a fan of it's boxy shape and would like to see a slightly more sloped front end and windshield and either a fastback or rounded hardtop like on the TJ. When I mentioned this in the post I was met with quite a bit of backlash from other posters stating that "the boxy shape is the Wrangler." So it got me thinking about what are the core components that make a Wrangler a Wrangler (hence this thread). When you consider the advances in technology and the need for Chrysler to keep up with consumer demands a lot of the core characteristics to the Jeep heritage have been change/improved upon and or modified (i.e. the introduction of the 4-door in 2007).

In my opinion I believe the core components that make the Jeep Wrangler one of a kind are;

1.) Classic Jeep grille
2.) Removable top
3.) Removable doors
4.) 2-seater or coupe (sorry Unlimited owners)
5.) Lift kit w/over sized tires
6.) 4x4 off road capabilities

Basically these are things the Chrysler design team MUST consider when "tweaking" the Wrangler from generation to generation.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 02-06-2011, 03:09 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by orp967
... I'm not a fan of it's boxy shape ...
This is complete and utter heresy!

Actually, I like the boxy shape. And I prefer the flat windshield and wish the JKs had it. At least when it's down. Up, I'm okay with it as is. Okay, that's silly but, oh well.

However, on topic: As I read through all of those definitions offered up I didn't see anything that would differentiate the Wrangler from other models of Jeeps (using the strict definition that would include MJs, CJs, etc). Remember: Not all Jeeps are Wranglers. And for most of the definitions, I didn't see anything that would seriously differentiate them from many other, quite capable off-road vehicles.

I think that "wrangler" is an undefinable emotion. It's a vehicle that gives you that special feeling you get when you catch out of the corner of your eye some dude in a mall crawler pick-up lifted six inches sitting on 37s stare at you as you pass in front of him at the intersection. Kids innately know what a Warngler is: How many times do you see kids pointing out that same mall crawler pick-em-up to their parents while driving down the road? Never. You never see it because those hosers are not driving Wranglers. But you see it all of the time when a kid stares slack-jawed at you, then excitedly gets their parent to look, too. Whatever vehicle they are starring at: That's a Wrangler.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

As for most of the post so far, you guys are hilarious!

But the main reason I started this thread was because it's actually starting to become a major issue/concern not only with actual Wranglers but with members on this forum. In another thread regarding the 2012 Wranglers, it's pretty much been confirmed it's getting the new Pentastar engine but there were a couple of sources mentioning something about some design changes, mainly to the exterior making the Wrangler more aerodynamic. I'm definitely all for the engine and am open to the rumored exterior changes if done correctly. I'm not a fan of it's boxy shape and would like to see a slightly more sloped front end and windshield and either a fastback or rounded hardtop like on the TJ. When I mentioned this in the post I was met with quite a bit of backlash from other posters stating that "the boxy shape is the Wrangler." So it got me thinking about what are the core components that make a Wrangler a Wrangler (hence this thread). When you consider the advances in technology and the need for Chrysler to keep up with consumer demands a lot of the core characteristics to the Jeep heritage have been change/improved upon and or modified (i.e. the introduction of the 4-door in 2007).

In my opinion I believe the core components that make the Jeep Wrangler one of a kind are;

1.) Classic Jeep grille
2.) Removable top
3.) Removable doors
4.) 2-seater or coupe (sorry Unlimited owners)
5.) Lift kit w/over sized tires
6.) 4x4 off road capabilities

Basically these are things the Chrysler design team MUST consider when "tweaking" the Wrangler from generation to generation.

Just my 2 cents...
I think you're WAYYYYYYYYYY over-thinking this.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:07 AM
him
JK Enthusiast

...So it got me thinking about what are the core components that make a Wrangler a Wrangler (hence this thread). ...
1.) Classic Jeep grille Meh. 9 bars or 7, who cares?
2.) Removable top yes. Ideally half doors available so it is usable long-term (and looks good) with the top off
3.) Removable doors Yes
4.) 2-seater or coupe (sorry Unlimited owners) MEH. If you said "small as possible" I'd go along with you though.
5.) Lift kit w/over sized tires No. Not that these are bad, but they aren't classic wrangler or CJ
6.) 4x4 off road capabilities Yes, but you've got to qualify that it's tight space vs. high speed off road
7.) Folding Windshield (JK almost loses this... needs to be easier!)

Quick Reply: What makes a Wrangler a Wrangler?