Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What to look for when buying a used JKU?

Old 02-05-2021, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for when buying a used JKU?

I hope to be in the market to purchase a used JKU soon with a budget of around $15k, maybe up to 20k. I am looking for something I can drive daily but also take to the trails on the weekend.

What are some things I should keep my eye out for when buying a used JKU? Anything specific or typically problematic that I should look for? Specific years or models to avoid or target?
Old 02-05-2021, 09:49 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

'11+ will get ya the new interior. '12+ will get ya the 3.6L, and '13+ will get you the 3.6L and improved seats. I'd buy something in stock form and modify should you wish. Most lifted jeeps you see are not modified well and could be a potential headache trying to figure out what was or was not done (most are done cheaply). Steer clear of things that lived up north in the rust belt. The JK radiators are just a thing we put up with and replace occasionally. Oil coolers/temp sensors are a thing too, a bit more prevalent "14-'16, but not uncommon to see on the 3.6L. These things are pretty easy to work on in general.
The following users liked this post:
doc5339 (02-07-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 09:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
'11+ will get ya the new interior. '12+ will get ya the 3.6L, and '13+ will get you the 3.6L and improved seats. I'd buy something in stock form and modify should you wish. Most lifted jeeps you see are not modified well and could be a potential headache trying to figure out what was or was not done (most are done cheaply). Steer clear of things that lived up north in the rust belt. The JK radiators are just a thing we put up with and replace occasionally. Oil coolers/temp sensors are a thing too, a bit more prevalent "14-'16, but not uncommon to see on the 3.6L. These things are pretty easy to work on in general.
Is the 3.6L much improved over the 4.0L?

I will keep those other things thing done as well but it probably will not be too new to keep it in budget.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:06 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

the 3.8L in the '07-'11 JK was a solid engine outside of consuming oil and being underpowered. There are several members here with super high miles on that engine. I think we'd all steer you to the 3.6L though if you could swing it. I'd think you should be able to find something reasonable ~$18k if you could stretch that far.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The 3.6 is more of a highway monster than the 4.0, more HP and pulls nicer on the highway. When it comes to low end grunt, the 4.0 was great and the 3.6 is still decent. As a 3.8 owner (who very much so enjoys it), I'd suggest you go 3.6 if you can afford to do so, if for nothing else than the power alone. With the new interior mentioned (11+) you'll have more options for inside accessories.
Old 02-05-2021, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome. I think for your budget, right now, you are probably in the pre 3.6 mode but may be able to find an early 3.6 model for around that price. I bought a 2010 a little less than a year ago and it feels great to me. I did have my mechanic look it over prior to buying it. They do what they call a "new car purchase inspection".
Things that I have found to be true and, depending on previous owner maintenance, the upper oil pan gasket tends to leak. The valve cover gaskets as well. I had all of that addressed soon after purchasing. I also had the transmission, transfer case and both differential's fluids changed and put in upgraded gaskets. I would have loved to find a 2012 for the upgraded engine and interior, but for my budget of $15,500 + another $2,000 for lift wheels & tires and some interior goodies like you have, I was happy to find my 2010.
If I remember, early 2012 3.6s had issues with leaks from a re-engineered oil cooler housing.

Hang out here, you'll get all the answers you want
Old 02-05-2021, 12:43 PM
Former Vendor

Default "The JK radiators are just a thing we put up with and replace occasionally."

Originally Posted by resharp001
What kind of issues are you seeing on the JK radiator? and how long are you getting out of them? With the stiff chassis, we are seeing some of the all aluminums go fast, where the 87-04 jeep radiators are holding up. Curious any feedback on which models are having issues with radiators and which ones aren't

Old 02-05-2021, 02:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

My vote would be 2012 or newer to get the 3.6 engine. Another must have for me, unless you plan to regear, is to get 3.73 gears. Yes, that is very hard to find, but worth the effort. If you find a willys, I think the 3.73 is standard. 2014's have a quite common problem with the cracking oil filter housing, so def check that area on top of the engine to look for a pool of oil. My 2012 was a strong, problem free beast, but some 2012's have a left side head problem.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:59 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by RadiatorExpress
What kind of issues are you seeing on the JK radiator? and how long are you getting out of them? With the stiff chassis, we are seeing some of the all aluminums go fast, where the 87-04 jeep radiators are holding up. Curious any feedback on which models are having issues with radiators and which ones aren't
They seem to fail with pinhole leaks where the fins meet the side, typically on the driver's side. Pics of my factory one are in this thread -

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...6/#post4319572

Mind you, that radiator passed pressure test time and time again.....it would hold pressure for a day.

I installed an OSC after that, and I just installed a Griffen this last year. I really questioned the OSC even though they are supposed to factory spec, but the jeep was running really warm here in TX with that rad. When I replaced the OSC it appeared to be perfectly fine, no leaks. I cut the ends off and didn't see any blockage either. The Griffen has been better for me, but I really question the life span. Nobody seems to have great luck with aluminum rads in these things.

Up till now, it seems the consensus for most is to go with the Mopar rad again from on-line sources. I will also add that I have an OSC in my wife's Armada and it has been flawless. I just have a lot of blockage in front of my rad with winch, lights, etc.

Last edited by resharp001; 02-05-2021 at 07:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
OscarMlke (02-06-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 03:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Agreed, The plastic housing with the metal design radiator will not withstand the test of time. I've had far too many radiators come apart at the seams. This is why at some point we'll prob upgrade to an all aluminum radiator.

Quick Reply: What to look for when buying a used JKU?