Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What I didn't like

Old 11-07-2007, 10:59 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by daddyo
Everybody wants power windows/locks. I seem to be the only person who doesn't want them.
Nope. I don't want them either, and ordered (and received) my JK without them. I don't like them because I keep vehicles for years, and didn't want to have to put up with the inevitable malfunctions. Anyone ever see a manual window not roll up or down? Anyone ever see a manual door lock not work as designed? I'm certain there will be a few who can say yes, but consider the same question for power versions. No contest.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepYak
I went to the dealer today and checked out their small selection of two Unlimited Xs, an Unlimited Sahara hard top($30k! yikes!), and a 2 door X hard top. One of the Unlimiteds was unlocked, so I took a peek inside.

CAUTION: Begin whining zone!

I don't like the white interior of the hard top. The contrast between the dark interior colors and the white ceiling made me feel a little quirky. A can of Krylon or some Herculiner should take care of that. I just hope I make it home from the dealer without having a fit.

The door locks are extremely weird. I can see where it would be pretty easy to bump it and lock your keys in. I thought of remedying this with power door locks with a remote entry to keep in my pocket, but that brings me to my next dislike:

The back seat passengers don't have control of the power windows. I don't have many friends this shy, but what if someone wants to discreetly fart and crack the window? I can't figure out why it is designed like that. I think I'll keep my $800 and spend it on a bumper.

Even on the manual window and lock model, the door strap has the wire run that tucks inside the door panel. I could not figure out how this comes off for door removal. Do you have to remove the panel? Surely not.

The receiver hitch is fairly gimmicky. $270 didn't sound like a bad price for the hitch, until I saw that it is nothing more than a receiver bolted to the rear cross member. It's not a full hitch, in the conventional sense, that bolts to the frame. With the cross member as it is, a conventional "Hidden Hitch" won't fit the JK. I'm willing to bet after market hitches will be very cheap. This is a good thing, but OEM is a little pricey for what it is.

The X doesn't come with the cool instrument cluster.

The interior of the Sahara is really cool. I want the X because it is cheaper, and I could care less about the $400 plastic tubular side steps and body colored fender flares. Don't get me wrong, the flares are cool on the Sahara, but I don't feel it's worth the price difference. But, after looking inside the Sahara (sticker price $30K!!!) the X seemed a little "plain". I hate when they do this! Everything about the Sahara looks better than the X! The seats are extremely cool, the instrument cluster, the 18" wheels, power windows and locks(which I would feel like a total traitor for having that in my Jeep, so I feel justified not getting power). I just can't get myself motivated enough to pay 30 thousand dollars for a Jeep, though. A Rubicon...maybe. But that is still pretty steep for a transfer case and one different axle.

The Sahara is the only one that has a khaki top. I don't like it, but I would like for it to be an option for the Rubicon and the X.

The sound bar on the soft top equipped models has a huge, gaping hole for the hard top bolt. The least they could have done is put a plastic plug in it!

What is the rubber plug in the doors for? I was tempted to remove it, but the lot was closed and I don't think the Jeep was supposed to be unlocked, so I left it alone. I hate jail.

The angle of the floorboard under the rear seat. On the two door model, it looked like there was less leg room than on my 03. The Unlimited had ample leg room, but it felt weird sitting with my feet forced out in front of me. I'm pretty short (5'8") and sometimes like to pull my feet in closer to the bottom of the seat, especially on longer rides. It just felt a little off.

The large gap left behind the rear seat when folded down. (whining, even harder) Man...I'm gonna have to get an air mattress! :sad:

The outside door handles. Although more comfortable than my 03 paddles (which are backwards IMHO), I'm scared they are going to get broken off. Hopefully, this is just nonsense worrying, but it looks like it really could happen. I've had my 03 in some tight places, but there aren't any dents in the doors, so I seriously doubt the JKs handles will get broken off.

End Whining

I haven't driven one, yet. But, so far, I love everything else! I'll be ordering one in a couple of months, fo shizzle. You guys that already have them are sooo lucky.
I locked my keys in my Jeep because of those easy to hit door locks..lol
Old 07-08-2009, 03:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by daddyo
Everybody wants power windows/locks. I posed this question on
another forum and I was surprised at the results. Everybody wants
power windows/locks.

I seem to be the only person who doesn't want them. It is a moot point,
since I ordered my rig with half doors, but if I had ordered my rig with full
doors, I would have opted for good old-fashioned crank windows.

Andrew
I'm with ya on that buddy. Power whatever is just one more doohickey that's gonna break down the road

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
I didnt opt for power windows, locks either.. kinda wish i ordered them..

as far as the recieve hitch is..

its $270 or what ever. but it also gives those with the X model, a D44 rearend and 4:10 gears, well worth the money..

order that you will not regret that!
I thought ALL JK's had the 44 rear?? Mine is the basic X w/ 3.21 gears and it has the 44 rear.....

WOW, just noticed the date somebody grave diggin

Quick Reply: What I didn't like