Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What happens to our Lifetime Powertrain Warranty?

Old 10-23-2008, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would think it would only be intact if the merger occured. If Cerebus breaks Chrysler apart I would imagine the warranty would be junk.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by James76
I say if my warranty goes away with a merger so does my remaining debt to chrysler financial. not gonna happen
Good point!

I will agree with that!

Old 10-28-2008, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scouter4life
It would be no different than when Plymouth or Oldsmobile shut down. Warranties were still honored as long as they were still in terms, an GM dealership for Oldsmobile or Chrysler dealership for Plymouth would be required to do warranty work. The new owners would take on that responsibility regardless whether the name existed or not. We all know Jeep will still be around, so if it's sold, whoever buys it, will still maintain them.
Although you are right about the contract terms, I think that it will be difficult to the "proper" servicing, I mean the lifetime warranty is also based on regular five year inspections. How is that going to work in 15 years (yes I will have the Jeep that long) when I need to have it inspected. It doesn't fill me with a warm fuzzy feeling have GM in control of Jeep.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:24 PM
JK Super Freak

They will honor it in my opinion. The question will be when they stop it being offered on new Chrysler products. It was the final reason for me to purchase the Rubi and Avenger
Old 10-29-2008, 08:34 PM
JK Freak

If they don't continue to honor the warranty, I could see a whole lot of class-action suits on the horizon (see GM gasket/manifold issues for comparison).

Chrysler/GM/Nissan would be too busy paying dealers to close, the last thing they need is a hassle like that.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by James76
I say if my warranty goes away with a merger so does my remaining debt to chrysler financial. not gonna happen
good point
Old 11-01-2008, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

Ive been through this with acquisitions before. The Warranty remains in effect even if the company is broken apart. go have fun with the jeep
Old 11-02-2008, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by goldtr8
They will honor it in my opinion. The question will be when they stop it being offered on new Chrysler products. It was the final reason for me to purchase the Rubi and Avenger
I feel it will just be a matter of time before the lifetime warranty offer goes away especially if the Jeep name relocates. The existing warranties should go with the Jeep name wherever it ends up.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any company that ends up owning Jeep will inherit all liabilities as well as the assets. Warranties are binding contracts between the manufacturer and the owner. The contract is not voided if the manufacturer sells the product line to another corporation. Failure to honor warranties would result in lawsuits galore, no doubt including a massive class action suit that would cost billions to settle.

The new owner will not want to torpedo their new investment by incurring the wrath of the consumers.

I wouldn't worry about your warranty if I were you.

My regards,

Widewing
Old 11-02-2008, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I really really hope they honor the LifeTime warranty. It was one of the main reasons I bought the vehicle.

Quick Reply: What happens to our Lifetime Powertrain Warranty?