Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What happened to this Jeep owner ?

Old 06-09-2009, 09:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happened to this Jeep owner ?

I don't know when I lost my way. While uploading pictures into my albums, I forgot why I use to like the lifestyle. You know, the little things like a bikini top filled with water, reaching forward with a shirt sleeve to wipe the inside of the windshield while operating 50 MPH plus down a rain filled highway. Flicking the spider off your rear view mirror, and not caring where you parked, how you parked, and who you pissed off. Now I leave it covered, & tell my kids not to jump from the tub rails, and polish my wheels every week. I'm here to tell you I haven't put it in 4WD yet ! Ok now let it rip ! I'm a big man, get me over this anxiety I have from receiving my first scratch from a trail ride. I envy you Mid-West owners, with the flexing, being able to trim the flares and bumpers without a care, while enjoying the full experience. Memories !
Old 06-09-2009, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default re

I can relate. My TJ... the top came off May 15th and the bikini top went on. I live in Maine and we get lots of rain in the Spring. I didn't care... just laughed it off. For some reason... I haven't gotten to the place where I think the JK can handle that abuse. I have done lots of offroading with the JK including a GREAT trip to Moab. It just rolled over 62,000, so I am driving it. Maybe once the newness wears off... after all it is a Jeep and as we all know, they won't last forever... Just remind yourself why you drive a Jeep and go do it!
Old 06-09-2009, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a similar problem. I bought my Jeep and was paranoid as anything using it. I listen for every little ticking noise and feel for every little bump on the road. I was afraid of it breaking down on me and leaving me stranded. I was afraid of anything happening to the JK.

Then two weeks ago I went out on a trail ride with some guys with the Sunshine State Forum. I had been before but this time I was staying the night and was going to an Off Road Park the next day. Saturday I got the Jeep really dirty and got really scratched up on a tight trail. Sunday at the ORP I had to most fun in the JK ever and ended up landing on a boulder with my frame. I thought I was screwed but the JK is really strong and capable plus I had help.

I came back and washed her off... she has scratches, dings, battle scars, and various other injuries. I enjoy her so much more now. I worry a lot less about the little things.

Moral: go to an offroad park with some friends... get stuck... get out... and carry on. You'll enjoy it so much more.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wasn't quite that bad, but I worried about the Jeep anytime there was a noise or something felt wrong.
Then I went offroad in the winter and had to get pulled from deep snow, heard the bare tree branches scrape along my doors and softtop, and felt the vibrations from too much mud packed up in my wheels.
took it to one of those do-it-yourself spray wash places and hosed the mud off and found some scratches in the doors and windshield frame.

Now?

See for yourself.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~blkbear/...4/DCP_1857.JPG
Old 06-09-2009, 01:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get the HELL OFF THE PAVEMENTNOW!
Old 06-09-2009, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I remember the days of 38s and mud bogs! Getting harassed by the cops, mud destroying everything because it stayed on too long, trails every where!! It was awesome, but life was simpler then. No off road parks here, just "Private Property" bought up by the people with a lot more money than I have.

Unfortunately, the payment book got too thick and the toys got to expensive to play with (for now). As long as I can continue to pay for it, I'm going to enjoy it and take care of it. Not sure if I will be employed much longer the way it's looking unfortunately. Might make someone a nice Jeep.

I've had lots of toys over the years that I did play with
Old 06-09-2009, 07:15 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just go unhook your door harness and swing it open, after that, everything is cake.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

i am the same way nbut as i get more armor i get braver. I dont take it on trails that im afraid i might roll it. But the longer i own it and the dirtier it gets and the mroe i run the trails it get easier. Plus if youdont bang this one up you wonjt have a reason to by the new fiat rubicon when it comes out. 44mpg.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:25 AM
JK Freak

Default Appreciate your time.

Thoughtful response from the forum, I thought for sure thrashers would dominate the threads, as I sound like a wus, but rather I knew I wasn't alone. That being said, having seen fewer chrome grilles on"JK's", and more bed-lined mods instead, I was a little intimidated, being more of a poser this time around. But not for long. My theory, do you remember "Jaws" ?, the scar scene on the boat, How can I brag about a shopping cart ding/scratch, as it will happen, when I have the chance to bond with locals, and enjoy this outdoor sport again. I started today, drove to the gym in the rain, when I could have been dry in the Tacoma. Memories.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Just go unhook your door harness and swing it open, after that, everything is cake.
Yep, that was my 1st dent in my jeep. My jeep dimple

Quick Reply: What happened to this Jeep owner ?