Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

what do you do when powdercoating starts to peel off

Old 06-08-2011, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Samething with my new sport front midwidth.....When i got it was perfect and stayed that way for 3 months. I am gonna get redone for $150. didnt think that was bad at all. I think the bugs are so hard this year that they are causing it to chip!
Old 06-09-2011, 06:10 AM
JK Freak

X2 On the sp

X2 on the rattle can bed liner. It is very close to textured powder coat. I have re sprayed my front bumper and rock rails. Works great and holds up. I use the Rustoleum.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 07BLUEJK
X2 On the sp

X2 on the rattle can bed liner. It is very close to textured powder coat. I have re sprayed my front bumper and rock rails. Works great and holds up. I use the Rustoleum.
The Rustoleum is good stuff. I used that on my grill after a couple primer coats with the Rustoleum for plastic.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BrunosJK
Samething with my new sport front midwidth.....When i got it was perfect and stayed that way for 3 months. I am gonna get redone for $150. didnt think that was bad at all. I think the bugs are so hard this year that they are causing it to chip!
is your bumper made by benchmark? ok i see that it is mine is more than chiping its peeling big peieces , they wont even email me back

Last edited by greenenvey; 06-10-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greenenvey
is your bumper made by benchmark? ok i see that it is mine is more than chiping its peeling big peieces , they wont even email me back
Sorry to hear, Are you in Grand Forks? the powder coater I use is in Saint Cloud. They are awsome to deal with. He thinks that the bumpers are sprayed with rattle can and they are not powder coated. I dont know if that is the case or do I care aat this point anymore.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:02 AM
JK Newbie

I use the duplicolor bed liner spray. It you just sand off the the loose powder coating then spray away and it stays on forever. It has a nice texture to it too. I just did all my rims!!!
Old 06-11-2011, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BrunosJK
Sorry to hear, Are you in Grand Forks? the powder coater I use is in Saint Cloud. They are awsome to deal with. He thinks that the bumpers are sprayed with rattle can and they are not powder coated. I dont know if that is the case or do I care aat this point anymore.
hi no im in jamestown!! wow a rattle can huh? that sucks..did you try to contact them? they wont even get back to me . For 730.00 dollars they could as lease return a email
Old 06-11-2011, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4wheelnD
I use the duplicolor bed liner spray. It you just sand off the the loose powder coating then spray away and it stays on forever. It has a nice texture to it too. I just did all my rims!!!
i might try this but im worried it wont match and it will look bad if i just paint the bad spots, or do you mean remove all the powdercoat?
Old 06-11-2011, 07:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by greenenvey
i might try this but im worried it wont match and it will look bad if i just paint the bad spots, or do you mean remove all the powdercoat?
I would sand all the rough and/or loose spots down. Than spray over the entire bumper as to not have any further issues. It will come out even and last a long time!

Quick Reply: what do you do when powdercoating starts to peel off