Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What to do about torn seam on rear seat?

Old 03-10-2011, 09:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do about torn seam on rear seat?

Don't know if anybody else has had this happen yet, but my small side rear seat tore its seam right by where the seat belt attached. The tear is about 3" long, and wide open.

Has anyone torn a seam? What did you do about it, what can be done about it? I would take it to the dealer, but predictively, the seam waited until it was a few thousand outside of warranty to rip.

Thanks
Old 03-11-2011, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rickyj
Don't know if anybody else has had this happen yet, but my small side rear seat tore its seam right by where the seat belt attached. The tear is about 3" long, and wide open.

Has anyone torn a seam? What did you do about it, what can be done about it? I would take it to the dealer, but predictively, the seam waited until it was a few thousand outside of warranty to rip.

Thanks
do you have a pic?
Old 03-11-2011, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just take it to an upholstery shop, it won't be expensive to have them stich it back up.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by geoffcwilson
do you have a pic?

Didn't see any remaining string or stitching, but for all I know it could have happened 6 months ago. I think the rear seats have been up maybe 20-30 times in the last 2 years. The front seats thankfully are holding up great.

Last edited by rickyj; 03-11-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:31 PM
JK Freak

I feel that I must add that a Chrysler manager has private messaged me on this board and is looking for a solution. I won't say who because I don't know if that is appropriate or not. But I have to say that given the fact I didn't contact anyone directly, my vehicle is as stated out of warranty, I didn't ask or hope for any free solution, and this person has gone out of their way to see if there was a solution, I think Jeeps customer service rocks! Even if no solution is found or available through those channels, the fact that someone took their own time and initiative to investigate it is top notch in my book.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would try and sew it using a curved carpet needle- ( available in sewing supplies needle assortment) and the old "blanket stitch" Crude, but effective. Then dab on clear nail polish to seal the thread and fabric.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:12 PM
JK Freak

I sewed up a tear in the drivers seat cover on my old Acura. It worked fine and was hardly noticeable. If Jeep can't help you, I'm sure your local upholstery shop can. When I get a tear in my cloths, rather then throw them out, I take them to a small dry cleaner down the street. The last time I went there, I had a 4'' cut in a $100 pair of Guess jeans. They charged me $5 to make them like new.

Last edited by Dronac; 03-12-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Take out the back seats. Problem solved. next?
Old 03-12-2011, 08:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Four Low
I would try and sew it using a curved carpet needle- ( available in sewing supplies needle assortment) and the old "blanket stitch" Crude, but effective. Then dab on clear nail polish to seal the thread and fabric.
That was my original plan, but I was in Walmart with my wife about to buy a curved needle and see if I could experiment enough to get it closed when she said "why don't you ask those guys on that stupid jeep site" - maybe they have a better idea. Since my sewing skills are nonexistant, any delay is probably good for the appearance of my jeep.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be cheap for a shop to stitch it.

They also sell iron on stitching from many sewing stores, or it can be ordered on line. Just hold the patch in place and iron it over the tear. That's a pretty cheap solution as well if the tear is off to the side like yours...

Quick Reply: What to do about torn seam on rear seat?