Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What am I doing wrong?

Old 01-11-2009, 10:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors at 35 to 37 psi all the way. The MTs are bad on slick surfaces, even just rain. The only time I've slid in mine are on straight ice and no tire can compensate for that.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:29 AM
JK Junkie

Sahara stock tires in snow is shit

One more thing: A Jeep is a RWD, just like your Camaro.
Most of the cars are FWD, that's why it's better in the snow.

Last edited by Yoda; 01-11-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's ALL in the tires my friend. Last summer I put on some Bridgestone Dueler (Revo) ATs with the hopes of not having to run studs. No they are not like driving on studs, but they have been great on ice so far.
These are the same tires that Sahara's come with from the factory and I will agree they are great tires in snow and ice.

Sahara stock tires in snow is shit
LOL havent had any problems with mine.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:54 PM
JK Freak

I agree with BlackNorthernJK, if you want to go in snow, tall and skinny will get it done better than wide. I put my steelies and Goodyear SR-A's back on for the winter months and keep my Rubi take offs with MTs for the no snow months. I find the Jeep tracks better with the smaller tires when I drive on snowy roads. Here's how much snow we have as of yesterday.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Sahara Brigestones are OK on hardpack and ice, but they are useless in snow deeper then 6". In my case I use M/t in deep snow and they work awesome. Airing down does work with M/T tires as it increases the ability of the tire to mould to the ground and grip as they do on rocks and rough trail. In deep snow I prefer a wider tire that allows some floatation, narrow tires dig too deep and you become high centered. I have run tall skinny tires such as 750-16 or 255/85-16 on all my trucks over the years and I can honestly say that skinny is NOT better in deep snow and only marginally better on snowpack and ice. Driving skill and common sense is what is more important here. If you want good tires on ice BUY SNOW and ICE tires or even better stud up a set of tires.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

What you are expirencing is the norm for me as well. If I want to go 80km/h in 4x4 on a road covered with a few inches of snow I generally have to fight with it a little to keep it tracking straight. I'll mirror what everyone else has said and blame the tires. I'm running M/Ts this winter and they are much worse than the stock 245/75/R16 tires my Jeep came with in all road conditions. Dry, rain, snow, ice...

Get a set of real winter tires though, and you should be unstopable. I had the chance last week to drive my former ZJ that I gave to my parents. It has 4 winter tires on it. Huge difference in terms of stability and traction. It wasn't pulled around all over the road by snow of varying depths and it could actually stop at an intersection without having to plan a block in advance.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mentioned before, if your running M/t you will have less traction and likely slide around more.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all, double check your tire pressure. If it was 32 psi in warmer weather, it's substantially less than that now. I air up to 37 psi at around 50 degrees F in winter, knowing that it will remain close to factory recommended pressure in very cold conditions.

Second, if snow is covering the road, use 4-high. It doesn't matter if it's 1 inch or 6 inches, you need four wheel drive for maximum bite. Don't disable Traction Control unless the snow is extremely deep. It does a great job in snow up to at least 6".

Third, let the electronics do their thing. Don't panic at the first feeling that you are sliding a bit. The Jeep will take over and straighten you out.

Finally, tires are important. I have a stock set of Goodyear SR-As (255/75x17). They get tremendous traction in snow. They are well siped and self-clean efficiently. My experience with Bridgestones comes from our two Suzukis, a '91 Sidekick 4 dr and an '03 Grand Vitara. I found the Duelers to be really poor in snow and ice. They were fine on dry roads, sand and packed dirt. Simply miserable in snow.

For whatever reason, these tires are terrible in any depth snow (good in rain, though):

These work well in very deep snow, but are not good on packed snow or snow at depths less than 8".

These tires work extremely well in all types and depths of snow:

These tires are outstanding in snow (245/75x17), but useless off road.

There's always the intangibles. That means, what seems like sliding to you is nothing more than a wiggle to someone else. I've competed in winter autocross, where you race against the clock around a course that is covered in packed snow. I can feel the difference between a mild slide and being out of control. That said, my JK doesn't even slide unless I push it too hard. I simply don't push too hard.

So, follow the basic rules..

1) Check tire pressure
2) Use 4 wheel drive (high)
3) Have a set of tires that perform well in snow
4) Know the limits of you and your vehicle.
5) When in doubt, slow down.

My regards,

Widewing

Last edited by Widewing; 01-11-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by echofoxtrot
...If I want to go 80km/h in 4x4 on a road covered with a few inches of snow I generally have to fight with it a little to keep it tracking straight...
Dude...if your able to drive at 80km/hr why would you even need 4hi? Seriously, thats why your fighting to keep it tracking straight, your probably driving a litte fast for road conditions, just because you've got 4hi doesn't mean you can't spin outta control especially at those speads, but...just my opinion
Old 01-11-2009, 03:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tango3065
These are the same tires that Sahara's come with from the factory and I will agree they are great tires in snow and ice.

actually my Duellers's are A/T, but not the Revo's. Mine are okay in the snow as long as I am in 4x4. I take it easy and it seems okay. Of course, a set of Blizzaks would be best but I gave mine in when I traded in my Sport Trac. If I make it okay this winter in my stock I will keep them on all year and buy a better all season when needed. Otherwise, I may look into some Blizzaks next year as they are upstoppable in the snow on my old Sport Trac.

LOL havent had any problems with mine.
actually my Duellers's are A/T, but not the Revo's. Mine are okay in the snow as long as I am in 4x4. I take it easy and it seems okay. Of course, a set of Blizzaks would be best but I gave mine in when I traded in my Sport Trac. If I make it okay this winter in my stock I will keep them on all year and buy a better all season when needed. Otherwise, I may look into some Blizzaks next year as they are upstoppable in the snow on my old Sport Trac.

Quick Reply: What am I doing wrong?