Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What am I doing wrong?

Old 01-11-2009, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What am I doing wrong?

I hear from so many of you that the JK is amazing in the snow which in someways I could agree, but do you guys slide around at all? I have an 08 Sahara Unlimited, don't drive fast (especially in snow), but for some reason, even at low speeds in 4wd my Jeep still slips and slides. This may be a dumb question, but wtf am I doing wrong? I am not heavy on the gas at all and I am 35 years old living in Central NJ with a house in Pocono, PA so I have had my share of driving in snow. Besides my Camaro, my Jeep slides more than any other car/ truck I have owned.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Search for some of the "Driving in Snow" threads.

Some say it's tires, siping, speed, weight of the Jeep,...

GOod luck, and just go slowly.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

U using 4wd?
Old 01-11-2009, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

after reading widewings recent thread "you can't fix stupid" it would seem that he is pretty good at it or has nuts the size of grapefruits. pm him for some tips and tricks. sorry im not more help, houston doesn't see snow or icy conditions very often.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What type of tires are you running?

Originally Posted by TommyG
Besides my Camaro, my Jeep slides more than any other car/ truck I have owned.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

it's gonna be your tires. what are you running?
Old 01-11-2009, 08:22 AM
JK Newbie

What pressure are you running the tires at in snow? If you want better traction, pump the tires up ... when pumped up to a higher pressure, the tire has a bit of a smaller footprint. With a smaller foot print, there is more pounds per square inch on the road surface. I know this may sound contrary, but narrow tires perform better in snow than wide tires becuse of the increased force.

Check out the tires on a Zamboni - skinny and tall... (although they are also studded) Years ago when I lived in NJ I had a CJ5; with wide tires the thing would slip and slide all over until I put my tall skinny snows on, then it was like a tractor.

Last edited by johnnyd; 01-11-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:32 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same boat as you, mine slides all over like a greased pig. I am running Silent Armors at 32 PSI, ,maybe I need to air em up.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyd
What pressure are you running the tires at in snow? If you want better traction, pump the tires up ... when pumped up to a higher pressure, the tire has a bit of a smaller footprint. With a smaller foot print, there is more pounds per square inch on the road surface. I know this may sound contrary, but narrow tires perform better in snow than wide tires becuse of the increased force.

Check out the tires on a Zamboni - skinny and tall... (although they are also studded) Years ago when I lived in NJ I had a CJ5; with wide tires the thing would slip and slide all over until I put my tall skinny snows on, then it was like a tractor.
Your theory is sound however I'd just have to say maintain factory recommended pressures don't go beyond, but don't air down, some will try to convince you that this will provide you a larger contact patch on the ground which you'd think would provide you more traction but it's just not so in icy comopact snow or deep snow.
Your tires are the culprit here though my friend, what are you running? MT's are notoriously poor on ice, in actual snow however they are great cause they can dig, but if your predominantely on roads with icy compact snow then your best bet is a good AT tire or a true winter tire...just my .02 I found the GoodYear Wrangler SRA's actually really decent last winter...they just don't look as cool as a nice set of MT's
Old 01-11-2009, 10:15 AM
JK Jedi

It's ALL in the tires my friend. Last summer I put on some Bridgestone Dueler (Revo) ATs with the hopes of not having to run studs. No they are not like driving on studs, but they have been great on ice so far. When in 4x it's actually hard to make the jeep slip out.
Plus....when thinking about winter tires remember, there is hard rubber and there is soft. The hard rubber has a hard time on ice and snow when it gets really cold, where as the softer, more plyable rubber tends to grab better when the temp drops down.
It's all in the tires.....

Quick Reply: What am I doing wrong?