Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: What % of JK Owner "Wheel / Offroad" their Jeeps?
~ 91 - 100 %
2.47%
~ 81 - 90 %
8.64%
~ 71 - 80 %
12.35%
~ 61 - 70 %
9.88%
~ 51 - 60 %
4.94%
~ 41 - 50 %
8.64%
~ 31 - 40 %
19.75%
~ 21 - 30 %
13.58%
~ 11 - 20 %
14.81%
~ 1 - 10 %
4.94%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

What % of JK owners go offroad (a la "Power of 10" TV Show)

Old 09-13-2007, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This poll will only reflect what is the best guess is.

Wouldn't be better to have a poll asking who has taken their off road, who plan on taking it off road and who won't go off road??
Old 09-13-2007, 01:11 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Cyclops62
This poll will only reflect what is the best guess is.

Wouldn't be better to have a poll asking who has taken their off road, who plan on taking it off road and who won't go off road??
Nope - this poll is strictly a best guess, as I intended. Here - I'm starting up another poll as per your suggestion, and I'm making it a private poll in the hopes that the non-offroaders on the board will be honest and speak up without fear of ridicule. Here's the other poll..
Old 09-13-2007, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you don't want to take it off road, go buy a hummer.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:36 PM
JK Newbie

Jeeps numbers might be realistic. But lets be clear, of that 60-80%, 20% will see a dirt road a couple times as there " off-road" experience. And as fourwheeling grows many will atleast try it, but it may only be once..twice..occasionaly....

How about how many regulary wheel? Wheel for multiple weeks a year? Camp on the trail? Wheel hard trails? Will actually do the Rubicon, in there Rubicon....NOW you can find some tiny percentages!
Old 09-13-2007, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

It has been asked (but not answered) what do you define as "off-road"?
Is driving it where a car can't go considered off-road? If so then the numbers will be higher.Tthose that believe that if you have do fix it at the end of the trip is the only "true off-road" well then the numbers are lower.

Define the term OFF-ROAD.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Can a street legal vehicle really off-road??

Some people believe that you either have a "on-road" (street legal) or an "off-road" vehicle (not street legal-for what ever reason).

If that is the case than I would say very few of us (although some) will qualify as off-roading.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:02 AM
JK Newbie

I'd say the percentage is probably lower than Jeep's marketers think. There really are not many places around here to go off roading, and I would be very surprised if more than a very few of the Jeeps on the roads around here are ever really taken off road.

Defining off road may help too. If off road is really rock crawling, mud pit crossing, or other challenging trails, then the percentage locally is probably very low. If less severe off road stuff, far less challenging trails, etc, then the percentage creeps up some.

I had my TJ off road a couple times, but it was by no means a regular thing. It also wasn’t ever on highly difficult or challenging terrain. The decision for that was influenced by it being my daily driver, and I didn’t want to really beat it up bad or risk the damage since I wanted and needed it to remain reliable for daily use. It was also influenced by the opportunities to offroad here. There are not really any public trails or lands. Some people trespass to offroad, but a lot of land owners will call the cops on you around here too. Also, a lot of the local community seems to prefer mud bogs, which is rough on your rig and not really my thing anyway.

I’d be off road far more often if I was out west, with some of the great lands and trails out there!
Old 09-14-2007, 08:10 AM
JK Junkie

Wow. You guys/gals really love the details, don't you? Not willing to commit a simple GUESS without a definition of "offroad"? Jeez!

Here's my definition of "offroad" - and don't bother telling me what's wrong with it - I honestly don't care (it's mine!). You should also note that "offroad" is not the same as "off-road," which is already clearly defined in its own right...

"Offroad" v. To drive one's vehicle over/through terrain that meets all of the following criteria:
1. Terrain is unpassable by means of an unspecialized (i.e. NOT a Jeep, XTerra, FJ Cruiser, Bronco, Hummer, Land Rover), class-standard, unmodified mid-sized automobile (i.e. Camry, Accord, Escape, Santa Fe, Outback, etc.).
2. Terrain is not considered a part of any municipality's road system.
3. Terrain is not maintained by local, municipal taxpayers' dollars (this excludes National Parks, some of hich may still be considered acceptable terrain).
4. Terrain must present one or more considerable obstacles such as boulders, trees, extremely narrow passages, crevices, ruts, free falls, mud pits, protruding rocks, unkept trailways, sizeable inclines, deep (>14") water, considerable sand, etc.

By this definition, any beach, dirt road, light trail, desert, field, etc., that can be driven on by one of the aforementioned unspecialized, class-standard, unmodified mid-sized automobiles is NOT considered terrain that meets "offroad" standards.

Anal enough for you? If I were any more anal about this, I'd be required to verify that you're over 18!

Last edited by MJS_Jeep_888; 09-14-2007 at 08:34 AM. Reason: correction - added "NOT a" to definition

Quick Reply: What % of JK owners go offroad (a la "Power of 10" TV Show)