Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Were Wranglers meant to be practical?

Old 02-16-2011, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you have virtually no commute I couldn't see owning a JK as an only vehicle. I drive a Merc E550 4matic as a daily, and have a 2001 Yukon Denali that I use for towing or taking crap to job sites and hauling the dogs around.

That being said I still love my Jeep. Nothing beats it for getting out and exploring, it has styling that will never really go out of style, and it works great for the hot summer night trip through the Dairy Queen or Sonic drive through.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

I think you'll find a lot of owners on here have JK as the DD.

Most of them aren't concerned about the practicality, mileage etc.
They bought the jk for other reasons and decide that it's fine as DD, or accept that its not practical at all and that's OK.

The avg person may think otherwise, but the majority of JK owners understand that.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My JKU is the most practical vehicle I've ever own. It's a truck, it's an offroader, it's a minivan, it's a people pleaser, it's a taxi cab (mine seats 7), it tows, it's a chic magnet (my wife would've never looked in my direction, which led to a date, if I wasn't in a big yellow JKU- she drives it now though...hmm...), it has a lifetime warranty...
Old 02-16-2011, 09:35 AM
him
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
There are a lot of things a Wrangler is, practical is not one of them.

Death wobble, rough ride, leaking top, little storage, horrid gas mileage, anemic engine and the aerodynamics of a brick equals not practical.
I guess it's a matter of what you mean by practical. If you take it to mean "concerned with real use rather than theory" none of those things you mention necessarily have anything to do with practicality. The wrangler can do a whole bunch. It may not be the cheapest way to do what it does, but it can do just fine. So it is practical.

You are talking about economic, convenience, fun, and other factors. The wrangler isn't a particularly economical choice.

In my case, I wanted a single 4-wheel vehicle that was as versatile as possible to augment my daily driver, which is a motorcycle (well, three motorcycles actually). For 80% of my uses the motorcycle is very practical. However, every once in a while I need to tow a trailer, or drive off road through really lousy conditions, or carry large/bulky items, carry passengers, drive on ice, etc. I could have gone with a pick-up truck and a mid-sized sedan but having two vehicles wasn't as economical as getting a single vehicle that could do both of those things. I could have gone with a large (4-door) pick-up truck but they run about $50k for the features I would buy and it didn't make economic sense. I could have gone with an Audi 3, BMW 135, or similar and rented pickup trucks when I needed them...but most rental trucks do not have trailer hitches and those that do are very expensive so that didn't make economic sense either.

For me the Wrangler is extremely practical. So was my old LR Disco. Neither qualifies as economical, but given that my normal commute is done solo on a vehicle that gets 65mpg and cost me about $7K plus another $750/yr for taxes, insurance, maintenance, and so on....given that, I think I have economical covered.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

What is practical?
Want to pull an average size boat? Get a truck
Want to take the family along with the boat? Get a quad cab truck.
Want good gas meilage? Get a small economy car.
Want to get to work on snowy roads, when you live way out there? Get 4WD.
So far a 4x4 quad cab truck meets 3 out of 4.

Want a convertible? (Trucks and most, if not all, other SUV's fail miserably here).
Want 4WD?
Want to take the kids?

I had a 4x4 quad cab truck. I need 4x4 and the ability to take kids; plus, I might sometimes haul something like a mower or appliance. The truck got 12 MPG and didn't even have a sunroof (boring + expensive to drive).

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited: 4x4, convertible, hauls kids, can pull utility trailer, gets 18-19 MPG on same commute that truck got 12.

Every vehicle is a compromise. It could be very practical, but not get good gas mileage, get good MPG but not very fun to drive, be fun but can't take along kids.....

The Wrangler Unlimited is the best practical compromise for me; it may not have the best of every single category but has enough of all the ones that matter.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smuhhh
I miss having a truck sometimes. Carrying a 4X4 one day which was going from the rear drivers side over the passenger seat and out the passenger window pivited on the window sill and almost fell out the window while I was driving. That kinda sucked. I guess a roof rack would help too.
I drove about 6 km's with a big octagonal patio table and 6 patio chairs strapped to the roll bars (dropped the soft top). It wasn't too bad once I got everything strapped down although I did get a few strange looks on the way home because it was raining like crazy at the time
Old 02-16-2011, 05:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No but what is practical. My Tahoe seated 6 people comfortably but how often do you have that many people with you? My cadi looked and drove great but only on the road. My Jeep doesn't ride great but works awesome on Job sites has no roof and gets compliments every time I stop. I will always have a Jeep
Old 02-16-2011, 09:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MaineRubi
Whenever we get a good winter storm (and we've had plenty this year) Our go-to vehicle for getting out to places that we NEED to get to has been our JKU. The Grand Cherokee usually gets to stay home. It does pretty good on "snow covered" roads but it sits too low for some of the back roads here.
If you are driving through backroads, that is a valid reason. But then, I would say a little bit more towards its original purpose. It isn't a "city" vehicle.

Our JKU pulls enough for our needs (a small trailer, couple of watercraft, snowmobiles, etc.) and does hold more stuff than our Grand Cherokee.
You'd be suprised at how many times the roads weren't plowed up here after a foot of snow. Some of us DO have to go to work in such weather
I know. I went from WK to JK. And, the JK does hold more - but only in the 4 door - and only barely. Still, probably not as much as a 4 runner or Tahoe, or minivan. And, I do know that some people have to work in bad weather - I got my JK because the WK was NOT able to perform as well on the really bad snowy roads. It was at the edge of its capability. I had to drive through plowed drifts 10' high (the roadway was plowed, the WK was not "plowing through), muddy, etc. And in that case, all it took was one trip in the WK to decide it was time for a Wrangler again. I know that it does serve a purpose, but that purpose is specific to well....the Wranglers purpose. It is a purpose built vehicle and it does that very well, but still don't think that makes it practical as a DD for 99% of the general drivers on the road, unless you need that specific purpose - it is unpractical.

Justification and practicality are both subjective. I'm sure if I had 3 kids and all thier friends/ stuff to haul around, I would have to look at other options as neither vehicle we currently own would suffice. For our lives though, The Wrangler is plenty practical. The 2 door might not be the roomiest vehicle but I could have lived with it since we do have the GC. As for justification, the first drive home from Boston in some really terrible weather and the wife being safe was enough justification to own a Jeep. Isn't that really all that matters?
I agree that it kicks butt off road, over bad roads, and through heavy snow - but the Wrangler isn't a safe vehicle. I don't think all things considered it is a dangerous vehicle, but it is one of 3 vehicles sold in the United States to receive a poor side impact rating, the 4 door is marginal.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK084
I think you'll find a lot of owners on here have JK as the DD.

Most of them aren't concerned about the practicality, mileage etc.
They bought the jk for other reasons and decide that it's fine as DD, or accept that its not practical at all and that's OK.

The avg person may think otherwise, but the majority of JK owners understand that.
My JK is my daily driver. I think the 4 door JK is the most practical WRANGLER of all time. That still doesn't make it a practical choice. LOL I agree with you that you should buy the Wrangler because you like it, and that is 100% ok. There is no reason whatsoever that it needs to be practical if you want it.

Everyone on this board is most likely a JK fan(atic). But the question of the OP, as I understood it, was if the JK was made to be practical and appealing to the general public. I don't think that is the case at all. From the standpoint of all vehicles, choosing one that meets needs best overall - the Wrangler is not, and hopefully never will be, practical. An F250 pulls loads and hauls stuff very well - but it is not practical. It is purpose built. The Wrangler is purpose built to perform off road. A GT Mustang is very drivable and fast, but is not a practical vehicle. Etc.

"Practical - of, pertaining to, or concerned with ordinary activities"

That isn't the only definition, but a practical solution to a specific problem isn't what anyone would assume you mean unless you throw in the specific problem. As in, "a Wrangler is a practical vehicle for driving through foot deep mud on a daily basis". In that case, the term works.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When it comes to practical vehicles, I am hopeless I think (so does the wife). Practical vehicles = soon bored with it, to me. The few times I have bought a vehicle that got good mileage, was inexpensive, etc....I had to rip out its guts and/or jack the suspension and make it more fun (for me anyway). I could not even leave past sports bikes stock.

When it comes to anything with a motor and wheels, I cannot spell praccticaal (see?).

If my wrangler was ever practical, it ain't anymore. But damn...it is FUN!

Quick Reply: Were Wranglers meant to be practical?