Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Were to find a replacement cable for my winch

Old 01-30-2011, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Were to find a replacement cable for my winch

Whats up Guys This weekend I was helping out my Father in-law take down a sycamore tree and we used some chains a 5/8 steel cable and a 30,000lbs snatch block and my winch xrc10k. I had my Jeep tied off to a pine tree because I kept pulling my self with the winch.

While he was cutting on the tree, I was keeping tension on the line to help prevent the tree from going backwards in to the highway. And after the tree fell I was unhooking everything and noticed my cable was looking very questionable. I have a xrc10k winch and I can not seem to find a steel cable replacement for this size. I have looked on Smittybilts website along with quadratec, northridge, and 4wheel drives web site. Am I missing something because all I can seem to find is synthetic line. Does anyone know were I can locate one?
Old 01-30-2011, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

What is the reason you are opposed to synthetic? If you want steel, you may be able to find some used from the people who switch from steel to synthetic.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:46 PM
JK Newbie

If you don't want synthetic try a local rigging shop. Not only will they have the right size wire rope they will be able to swag ends. You can also pick up a swivel hook and have it installed. I replaced my winch line on an warn 9500 I used to have and it was significantly cheaper to have it done locally.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:22 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We have steel and synthetic in stock
Old 01-31-2011, 02:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SoupSandwich
What is the reason you are opposed to synthetic? If you want steel, you may be able to find some used from the people who switch from steel to synthetic.
What detours me from the synthetic line is the cost and that it is made of plastic rope and I foresee dry rot in its future. Something in my head tells me to stay old school. And stick with the steel cable.

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
We have steel and synthetic in stock
Not to be rude but I could only find synthetic line on your website. And a hand rigging rated for 5klbs.

Originally Posted by ffjeeper
If you don't want synthetic try a local rigging shop. Not only will they have the right size wire rope they will be able to swag ends. You can also pick up a swivel hook and have it installed. I replaced my winch line on an warn 9500 I used to have and it was significantly cheaper to have it done locally.
Thats a great idea im going to check to see if I can get a oil rigging company to fix me up thanks!
Old 01-31-2011, 03:15 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuffaar
What detours me from the synthetic line is the cost and that it is made of plastic rope and I foresee dry rot in its future. Something in my head tells me to stay old school. And stick with the steel cable....
Synthetic line is made with ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene fiber such as Dyneema. This same fiber is used in the making of bullet-proof vests. To call it "plastic rope" is to mischaracterize it as something you might pull a skier with.

Synthetic is a lot safer during the winching operation because it doesn't store the kinetic energy that wire rope does. It doesn't have the weight of wire rope. It won't have the broken strand ends that puncture an unwary palm, and won't form bends, snags and kinks that plaque wire rope. It won't rust. For these reasons, synthetic line is now mandatory in virtually all off-roading competitions.

It is subject to abrasive damage that doesn't affect wire rope as much. Because of that, a good synthetic winch line will come with a Kevlar shield to be placed where the line may come into contact with an abrasive surface during the winching operation.

Cost is a great reason to buy steel cable. If cost is not an issue, then all four-wheelers should opt for synthetic line.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:00 AM
JK Freak

I have an ad for 100' of Warn steel cable that came off my new winch. It has never been used. Check the for sale section.

Quick Reply: Were to find a replacement cable for my winch