Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

went to buy my JK last night

Old 03-24-2007, 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default went to buy my JK last night

Went to check on ordering my JK last night... Heres the deal I was presented with

I trade in my 06 G6 GTP and get 15000 for the trade and I pay sticker for the Jk or they give me 13500 for my trade and I pay freind and family plan. I looked up my car on edmunds, Kbb and blackbook all says its worth around 16000 trade.. and I owe 16900. They tried to tell me they could not give me any more because I am on friend plan and what they are offering me is actual value of the vehicle just as I am paying actual value for the JK.

Also they wanted me to put down 1000 and not drive my current vehicle for 2months till the JK arrived.

I felt like they were trying to bend me over on the deal. I told them I would think about it then all the sale tacticts came out. I got the speach from the salesman that started with "my manager doesnt like for me to tell me this but, etc.... I am going to another dealership monday.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

sounds like bs to me...I would go to another dealer and/or tell the dealer thats trying to bend you over, that the other dealer is gonna give you bluebook and let you use the family plan discount.

The dealer I first went to tried to do the same thing to me when I told them I wanted to use my Supplier discount (1% below factory invoice). I told them that I went to another dealer and they were gonna give me bluebook and use the dicount and they finally said ok. I refuse to pay MSRP for any vehicle.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was thinking BS also... I know they are just trying to compensate for the supplier plan and screw me. I was going to go this morning but wife was sick and did not want to leave her with baby alone. So I will go buy after work monday.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

They are going to make their money on it on one side of the transaction or another. Have you taken your car to carmax yet? I have sold 2 cars to them and they were always fair. IT will not be top dollar but they will be fair.

What the hell are you going to drive while they build your jeep? Dealers baffle me.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I asked if they would just basically buy my car now that way I get the value it worth. I could drive my parents extra car for a few months. They would not just buy it but they wanted me to keep it for two months and park it in garage. I have never used car max or heard of it hows it work?
Old 03-24-2007, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blacklock
I asked if they would just basically buy my car now that way I get the value it worth. I could drive my parents extra car for a few months. They would not just buy it but they wanted me to keep it for two months and park it in garage. I have never used car max or heard of it hows it work?

I did something similar for my order. The dealership cut me a check for my trade-in up-front (which I used to pay off my wife's Toyota Prius). That way we save the car payment (with interest) and insurance while the JK is on order. I'm driving my play vehicle (a 78 CJ7) in the meantime.

As a result, while I'm rooting for it to come as quickly as possible, my wife is rooting for it to take as long as possible (saving car payment and insurance each month).
Old 03-24-2007, 12:43 PM
JK Newbie

Get the price of the JK set BEFORE you talk anything about a trade in. Once they agree to accept the F&F discount then dont let them alter the agreed upon price. If they wont give you what you want/need then tell them you're going to another dealer that will.

Try taking your car to a Pontiac dealer and get a written offer of what they'll give you for your car to trade in on a new pontiac. They will usually give you more for a loyalty bonus. Then take that offer to the Jeep dealer and tell them to match. More often then not they will.

That being said why not just sell the car privately and buy the JK with the F&F discount? You'll come out better in the end even if it is a little more of a hassle.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4GvnSnr
Get the price of the JK set BEFORE you talk anything about a trade in. Once they agree to accept the F&F discount then dont let them alter the agreed upon price. If they wont give you what you want/need then tell them you're going to another dealer that will.

Try taking your car to a Pontiac dealer and get a written offer of what they'll give you for your car to trade in on a new pontiac. They will usually give you more for a loyalty bonus. Then take that offer to the Jeep dealer and tell them to match. More often then not they will.

That being said why not just sell the car privately and buy the JK with the F&F discount? You'll come out better in the end even if it is a little more of a hassle.

Ditto... sell the car privately or at least negotiate the price of the car without even mentioning the trade in. If they ask if you'll be trading in, tell them your not sure and just stick to negotiating the best deal on the JK. Remember quotes from other dealers is your bargaining tool.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am going to list it for sale, but I will also loose the sales tax credit by selling it outright.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey blacklock! Since you're a fellow St. Louisan...I'm curious...which dealer are you working with? Reading your post...it definitely seems like total BS. You shouldn't have to pay MSRP on your JK regardless of your trade in value.

- Karla

Quick Reply: went to buy my JK last night