Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Well I knew it was bound to happen.....and it did.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by toddslezak
As i started up, I noticed my fuel level a little low....

I also noticed it the next day when it happened again while I was at work.....

I thought this was normal with Jeeps???
Right on Bro....
Old 06-26-2008, 10:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sn4cktime
My dealer accidently included the locking gas cap (which is nice cause it's keyed the same) so no siphoning here. Punching holes, that would really suck to find your Jeep punched full of holes, hell, even one hole would suck.

The 08s didn't have the option of locking gas caps. I would have gotten it. It was 15 bucks on my 05 Rubicon.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xarkansasx
I went into target to grab a few items for a party I was headed to.
When I got back out in the parking lot. My jeep's gas cap was hanging down by the side.... I stuck my finger in there as far as I could, no sugar, no piss, nothing but the smell of gas. As i started up, I noticed my fuel level a little low....

I also noticed it the next day when it happened again while I was at work.....

So my locking fuel door cover is on its way...

I know no other jeeper would ever do such a thing, but a fair warning....with gas prices on the rise, don't let what happened to me, happen to you.

And also, don't think that your area is safe from that kind of theft. I live in Mission Viejo.... That place where crime is only heard about in night time stories and late re-runs of cops.... yah......
Holy crap!!! I live there too and just thought my gas mileage really sucked!!!!!!

BTW the crime rate in MV is really higher then people know. I was told by a sheriff a lot is not reported so as to keep the rate looking good.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:09 PM
JK Junkie

that sucks... but if i caught someone punching a hole in my tank... i would be forced to punch a hole in their head... with a 9mm... and then sprinkle some crack on them so i could tell the cops that he tried to steal my gasoline to go to a drug deal and then he attacked me
Old 06-26-2008, 12:23 PM
JK Junkie

I can't imagine anyone drilling thought the skid plate to get to the tank, You'd go through a couple batteries and good to high end cordless just to get through it and forget any cheapy cordless drill, which is what they'd probalby use.

With that said though, the gas tank is not 100% covered, so you can crawl under and get at the side and back of the tank.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

There was a big article in Newsweek about stealing gas. When I first got my JK I got the locking gas cap only because I teach high school students (Oh, those crazy kids these days). Now I am definitly glad I have it!
Old 06-26-2008, 01:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by davidwm71
The 08s didn't have the option of locking gas caps. I would have gotten it. It was 15 bucks on my 05 Rubicon.
Yeah they do. It is a dealer add-on accessory. You can go to your dealer and buy one now. They're more than $15 now though. Mine was over $80.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:34 PM
JK Junkie

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the $15 cost one is for a regular locking cap (different key), which you can get at any parts store, the more expensive option is to have one with a lock that works off your key.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:23 PM
JK Freak

i'd lay down in the back with a couple of 9mm handguns and my ar15. gotta love the castle doctrine in TX
Old 06-26-2008, 04:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07JKX
that sucks... but if i caught someone punching a hole in my tank... i would be forced to punch a hole in their head... with a 9mm... and then sprinkle some crack on them so i could tell the cops that he tried to steal my gasoline to go to a drug deal and then he attacked me
I saw that sprinkle the crack line the other nite on an hbo comedy show

Quick Reply: Well I knew it was bound to happen.....and it did.