Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Weird sound.... Any Ideas?

Old 07-08-2009, 12:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird sound.... Any Ideas?

I noticed this a few thousand miles ago. Accelerating at a good rate in 2nd gear from about 2000 to 3000 there is a crackling or something and it sounds like it is in the exhaust. I had my mechanic look at it and he heard something even at idle and then tapped on the muffler with his knuckles and a rattle was inside there. I took it to the dealership to get it fixed and they put a new muffler on after they replaced both heat shields(the cheap fix they thought...) untill i tapped on the muffler and they were like ohhhh... I got my jeep back after with the new muffler... I still heard the sound. I was in washington on longbeach pulling some dumbass driver out and i was in 4wd since it was in the soft sand and when I started to pull I really heard that same crackling. Ever since then I don't even have to accelerate hard in that rpm range and I still hear it and its louder... and it starts at 1800 now.

I thought it could be ping in the motor so I ran a few tanks of plus gas through it and I still hear it, yet I am pleased to say that I am getting 22.5 mpg and that is not including the 10% the speedo is off from the tires. I would say its a solid 22 mpg using plus least for me(unlimited 6 speed 3.23(base base x model gears) and rubi tires).

Anyone have an idea what that crackling sound is? and its only through that range of rpm

Also I have a squeak when the jeep goes over the dip of a drive way then back up on the other side and it goes at an angle. If the jeep is parked you can hear it just by rocking it slightly. You can really hear it on the driver side but not so much on the passenger side and specially if someone is in the passenger side there is no squeak sound on that side. I had the dealership replace the rear shocks to and it was quiet for a few weeks but it is back and it is really annoying everytime you pull into a drive way or off the road to a fred meyers or anywhere where the jeep has to rock side to side.

Any ideas for my two problems?

Thanks,
Tyler
Old 07-08-2009, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a very similar sound when I accelerate, I have no idea what it is or how to fix it. I have posted on three forums about it now and no one seems to have an answer
I hope this time somebody knows, its annoying, especially with the doors off.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I even noticed it when it was just at idle today. Maybe it is the catalytic converter because I have replaced everything else in the exhaust.....
Old 07-08-2009, 08:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just had mine in at the dealer for the same issue of course they couldn't hear it but the second I got out of the lot I could hear it just fine !!
Old 07-08-2009, 08:44 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like it might be a cracked exhaust manifold. Check this thread:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/has-your-exhaust-manifold-cracked-47427/

Quick Reply: Weird sound.... Any Ideas?