Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Way to expensive

Old 07-09-2012, 01:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuel is the one expense I can't stomach.

I am not modded nearly as much as most of you, or as much as I would like, but it's capable and functional for a DD with occasional off-road ventures.

When I compare the prices I used to pay for my modified Audi twin turbo, the JK is a walk in the park. I paid nearly $1k for ONE custom three piece wheel for the Audi. Software tuning was thousands. The turbo back exhaust was nearly two thousand..

So I feel like the cost for mods is affordable... It's keeping it moving that is a fortune when it gets 14 mpg.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Try going very easy while driving it. Used to get 15 mpg but now i get 22 just by going 55 on the freeway and changing gears under 2k. Sure youre not going fast but jeeps are not about that either.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by duffyboby
Try going very easy while driving it. Used to get 15 mpg but now i get 22 just by going 55 on the freeway and changing gears under 2k. Sure youre not going fast but jeeps are not about that either.
Considering my previous rides and how heavy-footed I was, I am surprised I have adapted to the slow-low-intensity driving style of the JK.. I really take my time and drive pretty much as you describe.. still don't see mpg's above 15 unless I am on a loong highway haul.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think one can get hooked on the Jeep modding thing, just like other things like gambling, and end up in financial struggles because of it. Probably anything perceived as enjoyable can become addicting.

If the Jeep is using up all your disposable income, it might be time to cut your losses and walk away from it for awhile.

I would.

Last edited by Yankee; 07-10-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:52 AM
JK Newbie

I just went through the exact same struggle. Decided to sell/trade my 2010 Wrangler Sport due to financial difficulties. It was getting harder and harder to justify the extra expense when it came to a weekend or even a day of wheeling. Its one thing to wheel a daily driver like I was, but its a whole other ball of wax when you tack on monthly payments to the expense of wheeling and modding. I do very much regret trading my Jeep, but it was something that had to be done to avoid a much worse situation. I will have another Wrangler in the not too distant future, but for the time being I will live vicariously through the videos and pictures of the members at JK-forum.com.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

i always wonder how people can afford to mod brand new jeeps. I would love to install a 4'' lift and put bigger tires on mine, but my monthly payments alone are alot and I have a decent job. However seeing and driving my jeep everyday makes up for the cost. The retail price of a jeep is way to high to begin with.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you keep it a hobby and not a obsession or addiction things aren't too bad
Old 07-10-2012, 10:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I can definitely understand your predicament. It's sad to see another fellow Jeeper who may sell his rig, but it's your life and you have to do what you need to to survive. I hope all goes well for you. If you're able to keep the Jeep because you love it, things will work out.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

It really does mean Just Empty Every Pocket!
Old 07-10-2012, 02:35 PM
JK Freak

I want to regear the truck but can't afford the job. I've had the gears for a year now and still Havent done it. I want to try and not buy any more mods but repair what I need and see how that goes. Just found out my rim is bent and need a new one. And my student loans just got denied so may not even go. Send me some luck guys. Need it

Quick Reply: Way to expensive