Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wax removal on fender trim

Old 04-03-2014, 01:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wax removal on fender trim

Hey quick question. I accidentally got a spot of way on the plastic fenders and now i have no idea how to get it off. I have tried various cleaners but i still have a slight gray spot. Any ideas?
Old 04-03-2014, 01:25 PM
JK Newbie

Use a damp microfiber to get as much as you can off. Then use turtle wax trim restorer, or Aerospace 303 protectant, on the fenders.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are many ways to get it removed. Here are a few.....

From E-How.com:

Things You'll Need

Soft, clean cloth Isopropyl alcohol, Peanut butter(smooth), Vinegar, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser White toothpaste Toothbrush Dish soap

Instructions

Simple Remedies

Using a soft, clean, dry cloth, rub isopropyl alcohol over the trim until there are no white residue marks remaining.

Rub peanut butter across the trim to remove residual wax reside. The oils in peanuts dissolve car wax. Wipe away any excess peanut butter with a clean, dry cloth.

Wipe vinegar over the white stains until all the white waxy residue is gone.

Dampen a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and wipe it across the trim. Use caution with the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, if too much pressure is applied and it comes in contact with the car's paint, it can damage the paint.

Apply white toothpaste to an old toothbrush and scrub the trim in a circular motion. Rinse the toothpaste away before it dries.

Scrub the trim with dish soap (Dawn is preferred) and an old toothbrush. Rinse the area well with clean water.

From AutoGeek.net

Removing wax off plastic trim:
If you have dried or caked on wax residue on plastic trim, we’ve found that Griot’s Garage Dried-On Wax Remover is tough to beat. Griot’s Garage Dried-On Wax Remover is inexpensive and works great for removing dried on wax residue that’s relatively fresh. If your vehicle’s plastic trim has dried on wax that’s been there for months or even years, BLACKFIRE All-In-One All Purpose Cleaner will safely remove it without damaging surrounding surfaces. We’ve found the best way to remove dried on wax on plastic trim with BLACKFIRE All-In-One All Purpose Cleaner is to spray it directly onto a terry cloth towel and gently rub the surface.

From Roopedog.com

Getting Car Wax Residue Off Vinyl Graphics and Plastic Trim:

This story began when I thought I’d save some time and money by waxing my truck…
•cruised over to Wal-mart (super fun trip, as usual *sarcasm applied here*)
•picked up a Turtle Wax Orbital Polisher for like $29 bucks (came with applicator sponge and micro fiber buffer)
•grabbed some Turtle Wax
•and I was off to wax my truck

I cranked through the application of the wax (always the easy part)… let it film up for a few minutes, then buffed the truck like crazy with the orbital using the micro fiber dude it came with.

I used some micro fiber towels to get all of the wax off of the rubber and hard plastic trim by hand. Everything went great.

BUUUT….

I have Matte Black Graphics on the side and on the hood of my truck for my biz (shameless promo here for: WIDSIX)

It was dark before I finished the wax and buff session, so I didn’t notice til morning… but, there was GNARLY dried wax build up on my matte black vinyl graphics… like streaky (from the rain that night), super crusty calcium deposit style build up/residue. I scrubbed on them with micro fiber towels dry and with water… nothing. Still crappy looking white film on the vinyl

I read a bunch of stuff on the internet about “removing wax residue from plastic trim” and all about how I needed to scrub with any number of combos: soft bristle tooth brushes and rubbing alcohol or APC, mineral oil, peanut butter, blah, blah… I just thought there HAD to be a better way, than to smear PB all over my truck :-/

SO, I drove around for a few days with streaky, cloudy, residue covered vinyl graphics like a complete douchebag… when it hit me! The moment of genius I had waited for my entire life… Mr Clean Magic Eraser!

I scurried home, because I knew my wife had stashed some of them under the sink… ran in the house, grabbed the box (not the Mr Clean brand… but “Scrub It” brand Quick Eraser), grabbed a bucket of water, and headed out to my truck.

Scrub It Quick Eraser to the RESCUE! …within 5 minutes, I had oh-so gently removed the residue WITHOUT scratching my vinyl graphics… and could drive around town douche-free again.

Steps I took:
•grab the Scrub It Quick Eraser or Mr Clean Magic Eraser
•grab a bucket/bowl of water
•get the Eraser wet
•scrub off the residue
•dry with micro fiber towel (a chamois would probably work just a well)

That’s it!

Hope this post can save others some time if they get car wax (Turtle wax in my case) on their vinyl graphics, which soaked up the wax much worse than the plastic trim on my truck.

Cheers!
Old 04-03-2014, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

In the future, use turtlewax ice. Works great and you can use it on trim.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have heard that Aerospace works well. Never wax your plastics.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:23 PM
JK Newbie

Dito on Turtle Wax Ice. Works great on body and plastic !
Old 04-05-2014, 01:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just use Mother's Back to Black and gets it off and protects it as well.

Quick Reply: Wax removal on fender trim