Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

water in my JK

Old 03-15-2010, 12:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water in my JK

So the local area around me is underwater due to recent storms and while helping people out I was submerged to about the top of the hood, or about there as I was told by spectators. I didn't stop nor depress the clutch, got out of the water and left the jeep on for 30 min. I then drove around a bit threw some seafoam in the gas and filled it with mid grade and ran for a few more min. After I got out of the water I inspected the Airbox, there where a few damp spots but not much. Do I have anything to worry about and what do I need to to to make sure there isn't any damage?

On a side note, IT WAS SO AWESOME!!

PPS, without my teraflex leveling kit my hood would have been submerged and I would have been Fu*ked. thank's teraflex for giving me the extra 2" to help alot of locals!!!!!
Old 03-15-2010, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joisey
So the local area around me is underwater due to recent storms and while helping people out I was submerged to about the top of the hood, or about there as I was told by spectators. I didn't stop nor depress the clutch, got out of the water and left the jeep on for 30 min. I then drove around a bit threw some seafoam in the gas and filled it with mid grade and ran for a few more min. After I got out of the water I inspected the Airbox, there where a few damp spots but not much. Do I have anything to worry about and what do I need to to to make sure there isn't any damage?

On a side note, IT WAS SO AWESOME!!

PPS, without my teraflex leveling kit my hood would have been submerged and I would have been Fu*ked. thank's teraflex for giving me the extra 2" to help alot of locals!!!!!
sorry this may be a stupid question. But I have a 6speed and why would you not depress the clutch in the mud or water. This is the second time I have heard this.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:20 PM
JK Junkie

search it out man lots of threads... basically the water and mud gets into the clutch causing failure.

Joisey- change your diff fluids as I am sure you submerged your diff breathers being that deep
Old 03-15-2010, 12:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by john smack
search it out man lots of threads... basically the water and mud gets into the clutch causing failure.

Joisey- change your diff fluids as I am sure you submerged your diff breathers being that deep
I have that planned, but how long do I have? It's pooring out right now.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:42 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joisey
I have that planned, but how long do I have? It's pooring out right now.
the sooner the better.. u might want to extend the breathers for future rescues!! the front and rear vents are not much higher than the top of the tire. front is even with top of shock, and rear is just inside frame rail.

also diff oil change will take u no longer than 20 mins!
Old 03-15-2010, 12:50 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rinkishJK
the sooner the better.. u might want to extend the breathers for future rescues!! the front and rear vents are not much higher than the top of the tire. front is even with top of shock, and rear is just inside frame rail.

also diff oil change will take u no longer than 20 mins!
where can i find the ends of the breathers?
Old 03-15-2010, 01:13 PM
JK Junkie

one is on the drivers side front runs parallel to the shock but I dont know where the rear isjust find the hose on the diff and follow it up. definatly change the fluid sooner than later
Old 03-15-2010, 09:18 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For sure change the diff. fluids...I am sure you were over your air breathers. Not sure on the tranny or transfer case??? Are there breather hoses for these???
Old 03-16-2010, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
For sure change the diff. fluids...I am sure you were over your air breathers. Not sure on the tranny or transfer case??? Are there breather hoses for these???
Yes there are, they are right behind the engine on the firewall. Damned nearest the hardest place to get to to work on them. I have yet to extend mine...
Old 03-16-2010, 05:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Need to do that same to mine...the diff breathers aren't so bad to get at but the tranny and t-case are a PITA.

Quick Reply: water in my JK