Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Water and Mud in gas tank!

Old 02-09-2015, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water and Mud in gas tank!

While out on a trail ride I encountered a fairly deep water crossing. I made it almost the entire way across then became stuck right as I was exiting. Winched my way out. My question is, has anyone else had water get in the gas tank while crossing water. Mine actually had a bunch of water and mud in it and couldnt keep it running afterward. Had to be towed and trailered to shop where i dropped tank and flushed all of the system. Replaced pump and evap canister also. Fairly costly mistake. Shocked to have this happen at this water depth. Deepest part was to the top of the fender flare on driver side for a split second. One other tried to cross in a TJ and got stuck also but didnt have any mechanical issues. Others cut some trees and found a bypass.

Last edited by Limbhanger; 02-09-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Water and mud in your gas tank??? How can this happen??? Todays fuel systems are sealed and pressurized from the tank to the fuel injecters. Even a loose gas cap will most likely throw a code. I would think even if you had a seal at the tank bad enough to allow water and mud in, it too would throw some kind of code. This on baffles me.
Was it actually in the tank or perhaps in the airbox, and then got into the throttlebody?
Old 02-09-2015, 09:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Know that all too well. We had the same thing happen although we ended up dropping the gas tank and fixing it on the trail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	UQC5Xobl.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	679605

The folks who did his hemi swap didn't plug one of the vent lines for the gas tank that would of went to the evap canister on the normal 3.6/3.8 engine.

I'd suggest checking the vent lines for the gas tank and see if any are dried out and cracking or if there are any breaks/cuts in them.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:11 PM
JK Newbie

Im still baffled! Never found the source other than the gas cap was submerged for a minute or two at most.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Limbhanger
Im still baffled! Never found the source other than the gas cap was submerged for a minute or two at most.
Have you checked all the vent lines lines?
Old 02-10-2015, 06:51 AM
JK Newbie

Yes but i believe i will give it all a check once more.

Quick Reply: Water and Mud in gas tank!