Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Warranty void

Old 05-14-2011, 10:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty void

I was wondering what all can be done to your vehicle without voiding the warranty. I know suspension work voids it but what about body lifts? Also its it safe to put 15in wheels on on a 2011 wrangler. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

I was told any modification could void your warranty ,but my dealer told me when it comes to a lift it depended on who did the install and how it was done and I'm sure what brand, I have a 2011 Rubicon and just installed a 4" skyjacker lift running 20x9 wheels on 35x12.50 tires with no problems but it is a tight fit because of the wheel offset
Old 05-14-2011, 11:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The legal explanation and your dealers are two different things. I would make sure your dealer is mod friendly, as a suspension mod should only void the parts it directly impacts.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:15 PM
JK Freak

yup, you would definitely want to find a dealer who would be willing to help you out with your warranty work after mods.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:27 PM
JK Super Freak

i think you should be safe if you order the parts fromt he dealer and have them installed by the dealer. ie from the mopar catalog.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

It is important to understand some of the legal stuff about warranties before assuming that a dealer can "void your warranty". Sure, they will tell you that, but remember that you have laws, and SEMA on your side.

Here is a good link to read - dummies.com/how-to/content/keeping-your-mods-warranty-intact]Hacking Your Car and Keeping Your Warranty[/URL] There are several things to read up on, but the big hitter is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Being armed with a little of that information will help you keep the dealer honest.

Last edited by Sharkey; 05-14-2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: No links to non-sponsors please.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:21 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by jtjk
i think you should be safe if you order the parts fromt he dealer and have them installed by the dealer. ie from the mopar catalog.
Nope. Read the disclaimer for Mopar Performance Parts. They aren't covered, neither are OEM parts damaged by the MPP parts.

Originally Posted by ludski
if dealer installs, it doesnt void warranty. even if its a 1000000 foot lift.
as long as they do it, its 100% okay.
BUT, with that being said, you also have to deal with labor costs.
You are 100% WRONG! Please stop spreading this nonsense. A Dealer cannot promise, on behalf of Chrysler, that an aftermarket part will be covered by Chrysler, or will not void the warranty. The dealer may agree to cover it, but that doesn't mean Chrysler (or another dealer) will.

Wrong information like this costs people a lot of money...
Old 05-15-2011, 01:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ludski
if dealer installs, it doesnt void warranty. even if its a 1000000 foot lift.
as long as they do it, its 100% okay.
BUT, with that being said, you also have to deal with labor costs.
I wouldn't try to take that to the bank. The warranty is from Jeep/Chrysler - the dealer is an independent franchise.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:05 AM
JK Newbie

Man there are more "warranty void" threads on here than I can count. The same discussions happened on my old mustang forums. Please read up on Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. It will tell you everything you need to know about "voiding" and what dealership can/cannot do.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by harraid5711
... The same discussions happened on my old mustang forums. ...
heh - funny that Mustang forums was where I first learned about the M-M Act.

Quick Reply: Warranty void