Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Warranty Transfer

Old 11-19-2008, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty Transfer

Well, the sale of my WJ is close to being complete, so I'm close to being ready to pull the trigger on my JK purchase. I have a warranty related question.

First, I'm assuming that warranties on Jeeps will continue to exist in the future, so please don't drag the thread down that path.

The question is, if I am looking at buying a used JK, what portion of the warranty is transferrable, and what is the tranfer procedure. I know that the '07s and '08s are probably different due to the lifetime warranty, but if anyone could explain anything warranty wise, I'd be very grateful.

I looked at the '08 warranty booklet online, but I didn't see anything regarding warranty transfers.

thanks in advance
Old 11-19-2008, 02:29 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by glennco
Well, the sale of my WJ is close to being complete, so I'm close to being ready to pull the trigger on my JK purchase. I have a warranty related question.

First, I'm assuming that warranties on Jeeps will continue to exist in the future, so please don't drag the thread down that path.

The question is, if I am looking at buying a used JK, what portion of the warranty is transferrable, and what is the tranfer procedure. I know that the '07s and '08s are probably different due to the lifetime warranty, but if anyone could explain anything warranty wise, I'd be very grateful.

I looked at the '08 warranty booklet online, but I didn't see anything regarding warranty transfers.

thanks in advance
I just read the warranty for my '08. The only one which limits the coverage to the original owner is the Lifetime Power Train Warranty.
A call to your dealer will give the best answer.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I just read the warranty for my '08. The only one which limits the coverage to the original owner is the Lifetime Power Train Warranty.
A call to your dealer will give the best answer.
as far as I am aware that is correct
Old 11-19-2008, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before the lifetime it was 3yr 36k miles.. I would think that would be good for the 2nd owner.. but that is not how the lifetime warranty reads, it seems to say 2nd owner has no power train warranty.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bought my 07 used with 23K miles. I had the soft top leak fixed under warranty. It has also been in the shop the past week because the rear locker wouldn't unlock. (They also said it looked like water was in the diff, which would have been the fault of the previous owner) They had to order a $1800 part and the said it would still be under warranty. I am not going to be totally relieved until I leave tomorrow without paying a dime.

YRMV
Old 11-19-2008, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

That is my concern, that I could buy a used '08, and not even the 3yr/36k
mile warranty would transfer.

The warranty guide does not say that the 3yr warranty will transfer.

Thoughts?

Thanks again for the help
Old 11-19-2008, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by glennco
That is my concern, that I could buy a used '08, and not even the 3yr/36k
mile warranty would transfer.

The warranty guide does not say that the 3yr warranty will transfer.

Thoughts?

Thanks again for the help
The only reason I am worried is because I think they could say the Jeep was 'misused' or something like that. And maybe it was... the previous owner could have got it stuck for a weekend in some swamp for all I know. But I digress...

The 36K mile warranty transfers. I am very confident. The dealer didn't even ask if I was the original owner or not and even when I told them I bought it used, they still said this locker/rear end stuff was covered under warranty.

I would ask the dealer to make yourself feel better though...
Old 11-19-2008, 06:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Yes, the 36/36000 waranty transfers. The lifetime waranty does not.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Yes, the 36/36000 waranty transfers. The lifetime waranty does not.
+1 on that. You'll have the balance of your 3/36,000 but not the lifetime powertrain. Still a goo warranty. You can go to chryslerwarrantys.com and talk to them about the possibility of a powertrain extension.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure that your dealer has already transfered the warranty over to you. They should be able to do that right at the dealership. If not, call Customer One (warranty) and they will take care of it for you.
I did that when we bought our daughter an 04 GC limited used in 05. She ended up getting the remaining time and miliage that was left on the original warranty.

Quick Reply: Warranty Transfer