Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Warranty Service

Old 05-03-2007, 11:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty Service

Why does the dealership have to send pictures on an obvious warranty issue with the top to DC? Furthermore, I am being sent by DC, not the dealership, to a trim shop so that my top can have the tear stiched shut?

I will post pics when I get home, but my top has started a tear in the top back left corner of the rear window (not the clear, the main top). If you lift that little fold, you can see where they cut slits in the top for a smooth fold and then stiched across the slits to keep them from tearing. Mine tore anyway... Now, I am being sent to a trim shop so that the tear can be stiched shut. I bought this thing on 4/20/07. A bit pissed...

Anybody else have a similar experience? Other than this, I have been quite pleased.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GotDesl
Why does the dealership have to send pictures on an obvious warranty issue with the top to DC? Furthermore, I am being sent by DC, not the dealership, to a trim shop so that my top can have the tear stiched shut?

I will post pics when I get home, but my top has started a tear in the top back left corner of the rear window (not the clear, the main top). If you lift that little fold, you can see where they cut slits in the top for a smooth fold and then stiched across the slits to keep them from tearing. Mine tore anyway... Now, I am being sent to a trim shop so that the tear can be stiched shut. I bought this thing on 4/20/07. A bit pissed...

Anybody else have a similar experience? Other than this, I have been quite pleased.
Unfortunately yes I am going through the same thing. I have about a 1/4" tear on the soft top about 3 inches from the left corner on the back window. I have submitted pictures to my dealer who inturn submitted them to DC.

I think the reason my is tearing is because of the difficulty in getting the rear window zipper around that corner...having to use two hands ( I am 6' 5" 240#) to get enough ooomph to zip it. If they respond and tell me to stitch it, I will battle them because this is a high stress area that must have had a weakness in it to begin with to start tearing.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

That is the new system that most manufacturers are going to. It allows them more control over the warranty system than just leaving it to the dealers.

Unfortunately there is nothing that we, as dealers, can do to avoid the system.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:13 PM
JK Newbie

I completely understand that it is not the dealers doing, but it is something else that will end up hurting these auto makers in the long run. The American auto manufacturer has lost touch with it's end customer and this is another level of insulation for them. My dealer was pissed off six ways to Sunday because it is an obvious manufacturing defect that DC was denying coverage. That said, after I visited the trim shop and got their take on the repair, the dealership knew that the solution was unacceptable on a 2 week old vehicle and stayed on DC's butt. DC finally caved and the top is being covered. Apparently no tops are in stock in the warehouse or nationally, but 2 are in the national que as being manufactured. When they are finished, one has my name on it. The dealer did go ahead and tell me that it could be weeks or months before it actually comes in. Until then, I have no rear window and of course it rained today. I need to buy a tarp. In the end, all will be right and I do appreciate my dealer's work and dedication to the customer instead of the brand.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GotDesl
I completely understand that it is not the dealers doing, but it is something else that will end up hurting these auto makers in the long run. The American auto manufacturer has lost touch with it's end customer and this is another level of insulation for them. My dealer was pissed off six ways to Sunday because it is an obvious manufacturing defect that DC was denying coverage. That said, after I visited the trim shop and got their take on the repair, the dealership knew that the solution was unacceptable on a 2 week old vehicle and stayed on DC's butt. DC finally caved and the top is being covered. Apparently no tops are in stock in the warehouse or nationally, but 2 are in the national que as being manufactured. When they are finished, one has my name on it. The dealer did go ahead and tell me that it could be weeks or months before it actually comes in. Until then, I have no rear window and of course it rained today. I need to buy a tarp. In the end, all will be right and I do appreciate my dealer's work and dedication to the customer instead of the brand.

Sounds like you found a good dealer! They are few and far between so you should stick with them.

Quick Reply: Warranty Service