Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Warranty for cracked windsheild?

Old 12-13-2007, 07:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty for cracked windsheild?

After reading countless postings about the windsheilds cracking, I called the dealership where I bought my Jk to see if they will replace it. Ray, the service "guy" in Salt Lake City, Ken Garff dealership stated he had never heard of any issues like this. He stated he "would have to take a picture of the crack and send it into Chrysler and let them decide. " He said, "honestly I don't think they will replace it under warranty." WTF???!!!! I didn't think Chrysler had anything to do with it. I was under the impression the dealership would make that call. The "pen test" or whatever. Help!!
Old 12-13-2007, 08:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by scootrrydr
After reading countless postings about the windsheilds cracking, I called the dealership where I bought my Jk to see if they will replace it. Ray, the service "guy" in Salt Lake City, Ken Garff dealership stated he had never heard of any issues like this. He stated he "would have to take a picture of the crack and send it into Chrysler and let them decide. " He said, "honestly I don't think they will replace it under warranty." WTF???!!!! I didn't think Chrysler had anything to do with it. I was under the impression the dealership would make that call. The "pen test" or whatever. Help!!
Dude I had to replace one about a month after I got it. I have two chips not and am waiting for the crack so I can get another one. That is what insurance is for. Jeeps having a rather flat windshield it seems take the brunt of anything that hits them. This is a fact of owning a jeep.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had my windshield replaced at 2500 miles. The glass shop used an original Mopar windshield as part of the replacement. I called the 800 number of my insurance company one morning, and the new glass was installed by 2PM. Done. What would be your basis for a cracked windshield being claimed under warranty? How did it fail?
Old 12-13-2007, 08:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted_Grevers
I had my windshield replaced at 2500 miles. The glass shop used an original Mopar windshield as part of the replacement. I called the 800 number of my insurance company one morning, and the new glass was installed by 2PM. Done. What would be your basis for a cracked windshield being claimed under warranty? How did it fail?
I think some people are having issues with the windsheild cracking from the seals and creeping towards the center. They all say it's a factory defect?

Personally, I say just bill the insurance. You've already had enough of a headache with the dealer, and they haven't fixed a thing yet!
Old 12-13-2007, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

But for the windshield, isn't it just "glued" in? Unlike the TJ, YJ and CJ windsields, which actually had a rubber seal around the glass.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

replaced mine a couple weeks ago @ about 2k miles into it. sucked but had to cause the crack drove me nuts. just the price to pay for owning a jeep i assume.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ted_Grevers
But for the windshield, isn't it just "glued" in? Unlike the TJ, YJ and CJ windsields, which actually had a rubber seal around the glass.
this is the case... since the windshield is just glued to the seal, without a rubber gasket around it, it's succeptible to cracking along the edge without being really visible. then when you blast the defroster and the glass flexes slightly from the difference in interior and exterior temperature, a crack forms.

mine happened last week, i took it into the dealership this tuesday, and no dice on trying to get the dealership to pay for it. since there was no visible chip prior to the crack, i figured it's a defect, even though the warranty explicitly says that glass isn't covered.

after much arguement, the service guy at the dealership and i agreed to disagree and settled on the fact that while the glass is not defective, the design is piss poor at best. moral of the story is... defective means the dealership fixes at no cost to you, crappy design means that you get hosed by dc once again.

can't wait for the next little "design flaw."

good luck and happy wheelin' everyone
Old 12-13-2007, 06:00 PM
JK Junkie

Default Tsb

There is a TSB for the cracked windshield...do a search.....
Old 12-13-2007, 07:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
There is a TSB for the cracked windshield...do a search.....
Well, indeed there is... That's where the ball point pen trick came into play: http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tsb-re...ked-windshield
Old 12-13-2007, 07:53 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm about ready to have someone make a custom rubber seal for the edge. My insurance pays but I have $100 dollar deductable, starts to add up after 2 or 3 windshields.

Quick Reply: Warranty for cracked windsheild?