Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

WARNING for you folks

Old 09-18-2012, 10:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I think 6cyl. sound like crap with louder exhausts anyways. They sound like an angry moped. If you want something that sounds cool, you need a v8.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree that the louder exhaust sounds bad on the jk. Although I want a muffler that is more compact and less likely to get hung up on the rocks. Any good options for a smaller muffler that keeps the stock sound?
Old 09-19-2012, 05:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

One idea - wanted clearance but not much louder here. Went mbrp plus 12 in glass pack (cheap) to reduce drone. Truly just right for me. Can go bigger glasspack for quieter while retaining offroad clearance and a bit less backpressure still.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:34 AM
JK Newbie

Default Banks exhaust

I put a Banks exhaust on a 2005 TJ, that was a huge mistake. It was so loud on the highway. Especially for the people in the back seat. I sold the car a year later. Yes I agree it isn't a pleasant sounding loud exhaust with a 6 cylinder engine. For now I'll stick with the stock exhaust in the JK.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can enjoy a certain amount of exhaust sound, but have always been hesitant to install on a Jeep because with the fabric/topless element.

It just lets too much noise into the cabin, limiting conversations, music enjoyment and communication gear effectiveness (ham radio/CB).
Old 09-19-2012, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree that most aftermarket exhaust are too loud. I put a rancho exhaust on my 11' and later had a muffler shop put a quieter muffler on. I did the K&N intake and the exhaust at the same time and I definately got a performance improvement, but I'm not sure if it was the intake or the exhaust, probably a little of both.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I could throw a bone in here...

I have a Borla axle-back system on my daily commuter JK, and LOVE it. 10 years ago Borlas were too quiet for me. Today, perfect. No drone. Sound level is "noticeable" but also easily-tuned-out either mentally or by the radio. (that is, unless you're running mud terrains, then all you'll hear are the tires).

GAINED low-end power under 2,500 rpm. Downside; it's easier to use fuel in that range - gotta be more careful if you want to preserve mpg's.

I was real hesitant purchasing a cat back system for the JK. Many models I heard online were just too loud for me. Extremely happy with the Borla.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If interested, the Borla FAQ has some good all around exhaust info. Frequently Asked Questions - BORLA®

One of my major holdups with aftermarket systems was that it seems like many are using 2.5" tubing. For what I was looking for, that was too much pipe for me. I wanted something in the 2 1/8 - 2 1/4" range. I wanted it to flow well, but preserve exhaust velocity for lowend power -- and not be too loud. That would have been my ideal system.

Was looking to fab something up when I came across my current system for sale in the classifieds.

Last edited by yo_marc; 09-19-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:37 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

I think MBRP systems are great! We run them on all of our company vehicles. Of course with 37" mud terrain tires and a super charger it's hard to tell if the exhaust is very loud. But, I will say that all of their stuff sounds great. I wish I could say they added power and mpg, but we are generally making a lot of changes at once. You should give teh guys at MBRP a chance to help you out. I"m sure they have some ideas to help you lower the volume.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:44 AM
JK Freak

Hmmm I love my Dynomax Rock Crawler set up. Nice deep tone, but not loud and obnoxious. Also I havent had any issues with drone on the Hwy...Ymmv

Quick Reply: WARNING for you folks