Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

WARNING for you folks

Old 09-18-2012, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default WARNING for you folks

Hello everyone. I'm posting my exhaust experience as a word of advice. This advice particularly applies to JK owners who use their jeep as a daily drive and have the urge to constantly modify. For your next mod you are considering a performance cat back exhaust. You hope to get some HP gains and even perhaps some MPG improvements. Also, you want a really cool aggressive sound. However, the unknown of the sound volume concerns you. Overall, your on the fence about this mod.

Here is my advice if you fit the description above (note: my advice applies to the MBRP SS off road exhaust)..........DON'T DO this modification. I have nothing against MBRP. Their product is high quality and easy to install. The big issue at least for me is the sound. I had this system for 4 months and I must say that I was embarrassed to drive it and it gave me a bit of a head ache. I noticed no HP or MPG improvements. In fact, I think I lost some low end torque (I tend to believe that the performance increases aren't there, at least significantly, for any system.....not just MBRP).

In the end, and after much deliberation, I went back to stock and needed to pay for it since I trashed my original system. This has been a very expensive mistake and I'm hoping to save others from the same.......especially if you fit the description above.

Again. No disrespect to MBRP. Great product if you want quality and a system not vulnerable to damage off roading and you don't mind a loud system (sounds awesome at idle but, to me, like a broken muffler under acceleration).

Good luck all with your decisions and remember that a loud exhaust to me may not be loud for you. This is just one person's opinion. Maybe this post will save some cash for someone that they can use on another mod.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your experience that is a definite bummer. But it just goes to show, the best way to figure out whether or not you are going to like that new exhaust is to hear it in person first.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I am not saying your wrong but I like loud cars/trucks. I am still young (21yrs old) so maybe when I get older I will get bored with it. As of now I like to hear it even tho its only a v6
Old 09-18-2012, 05:00 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ahd the exact same experience with the exact same exhaust on my 12. I saved my stock and sold the mbrp so I did not come out as rough as you, but I still took a bath. It was too loud for me (32 yr old) and I also felt like I was the target of many stares in public. I went with the banks cai instead, gives the growl without the over bearing noise.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most vehicles a cat back won't be enough to feel the difference. U need a full exhaust to really feel the gains.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is good loud and there is bad loud i have yet to hear any small engine that sounds good off idle with aftermarket exhaust , excepting motorcycles and race cars . unless there is significant alterations to the cam duration and lift and other costly internal mods
Old 09-18-2012, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Low end torque loss is something I would agree with
Old 09-18-2012, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

There is no cat back exhaust that will increase mpgs or performance. The only reasons one should change the factory exhaust is for added ground clearance, sound, or for looks. I run a Jeepswag exhaust that improves ground clearance, has no drone, and is pretty quite with a decent exhaust tone.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check this out;

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...xhaust-244783/
Old 09-18-2012, 10:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

granted the new 3.6 sounds better than the 3.8 and i got stuck with the 3.8

Quick Reply: WARNING for you folks