Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Warning Downey Jeep in CA is not a Mod friend Dealer

Old 06-29-2012, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just want to let people that live in this area know. Downey Jeep is not a mod friendly dealership and this is from horses month (dealer services writer).

I want in to see if they are Mod friendly. I just bought a 2012 JKUR. So I wanted to see if this dealer is a good place to go to if a have a problems. This guy say if I have a small lift (2 inch lift or low) it is ok but if any more that. He would void my warranty. Changing out my driveline it would void the warranty.

I hold him "it is good to know I will tell all of my friends" and hear you are my "friends" I'm letting you guys know.

And to think, I almost bought from these clowns.

I just want to pass this on. Hate to see anyone of us. With Mods go to the wrong dealer and lose their warranty.

Last edited by cuongdyna; 06-30-2012 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cuongdyna
I just want to let people that live in this area know. Downey Jeep is not a mod friendly dealership and this is from horses month (dealer services writer).

I want in to see if they are Mod friendly. I just bought a 2012 JKUR. So I wanted to see if that dealer is a go place to go to if a have a problems. This guy say if I have a small lift (2 inch lift or low) it is ok but if any more that. He would void my warranty. Changing out my driveline it would voiding the warranty.

I hold him "it is good to know I will tell all of my friends" and hear you are my "friends" I'm letting you guys know.

And to think, I almost bought from these clowns.

I just want to pass this on. Hate to see anyone of us. With Mods go to the wrong dealer and lose their warranty.

This is a pretty large misconception of the warranty process. They, especially not your service writer, cannot void your warranty.

They CAN, however, not cover damages that can be proven to be directly caused by your mods.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fellstar
This is a pretty large misconception of the warranty process. They, especially not your service writer, cannot void your warranty.

They CAN, however, not cover damages that can be proven to be directly caused by your mods.
I thought they could 'blacklist' your JK or something similar, which would end up in your warranty to be void? As well as them not covering it because of the mods.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by fellstar

They actually can void your warranty. Is it legal? No. But they can still do it and you will have a hell of a time and a lot of phone calls to get it undone. Read the thread WOL posted about his warranty experience and how he got it undone.
The dealer has to prove it caused the problem to not fix it like he said but they can really make this a pain for the consumer if they want to
Old 06-30-2012, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

It would be nice to develop a list of Dealers that are anti-mod dealers.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is there a good dealership review site to use for dealerships or do you just approach them and ask?
Old 06-30-2012, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

I've worked in the car business my entire life and I will be the first to tell you that we (dealers) DO NOT want to try and have a warranty voided. We make money every time we fix something under warranty. The problem is that the dealership and the manufacturer have a written agreement as to what and what is not covered under warranty due to modifications and/or abuse. There is a gray area there, obviously they will cover an a/c compressor when you have a 4" lift but they most certainly wont cover a drive shaft. The reason is because if the manufacturer asks to see the vehicle being repaired and it has been modified then the dealer will be in violation of the dealer agreement. If that occurs then in some circumstances the manufacturer will ask the dealer to start sending ALL the parts to all warranty repairs back to be inspected or, at best, to keep them on site to be inspected by a service rep once a month. Also, the dealers can lose the ability to authorize the their own warranty repairs or "goodwill" work for good customers that are OUT of factory warranty but we repair their cars under warranty anyway as a show of goodwill. Any and all of this costs us HUGE money in our service departments so we have to be careful about how and what we cover so we dont get ourselves in hot water.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

Glendora Jeep has a great service dept. John and Ryan are knowledgeable and friendly. I went to them before I did any mods. I didn't want to mess up my lifetime warranty. I didn't buy my Jeep there, but I take there it for everything and I trust them.
The weekend (before the 4th of July), I was packing for a camping trip and noticed my rear diff was leaking. On Wednesday, I explained my situation and told them I wanted to leave on my trip Thursday morning. They were very busy and said they wouldn't be able to get to my Jeep before Monday. I asked them to look at it and see if I could still hit the trail without a breakdown. Long story short; they not only re-sealed the diff but also serviced the brakes (the diff was no charge - part of the lifetime drive-train warranty). They had it ready Thursday afternoon and I didn't miss any of my trip.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm along the lines of Treid above.

Dealers make a lot of money off warranty repairs. It is very short sited fo them to void or throw out your claims - ESPECIALLY in the LA area, where there are tons of dealers and tons of buyers. Don A Vee and Orange Coast are two mod-friendly dealers to consider.

Here up north there are lots of mod-friendly dealers, probably because we're near the Rubicon (where the jeeps are supposedly "trail rated"). Wouldn't it look bad if they void your warranty for driving on the trail they boast about on their badge and "off-road" model?
Old 07-09-2012, 10:45 PM
JK Newbie

Who did you deal with? I go there for service and deal with Rene. He has been good so far no questions asked.

Quick Reply: Warning Downey Jeep in CA is not a Mod friend Dealer