Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Walmart oil scam WARNING

Old 07-30-2012, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hypeiv
I put my used oil back in the jug to take back to walmart... But I take it to their automotive center to be recycled not returned!!
it's highly possible one of the minimum wage noobs found a jug brought back for recycling and thought it was a return. walmart doesn't hire the brightest bulbs in the lamp.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by JKJA10
Beware of places with a no questions asked return policy. Places like this you avoid. Home Depot was like that and they finally changed there policy now they look at and inspect everything being returned to them. Its common sense.
Well, they inspect everything you return at Sam's Club also. Also Sam's has a "reduced item section" where returned items usually go after they inspect them. I know for a fact items like TV's they send out to an authorized service center, where they get inspected and repaired if needed. They don't put returned items back into regular rotation before inspection. In fact, I often shop in the reduced item section because it has the same no questions asked return policy. I take it home, I try it out and if there's anything wrong with it, then I return it.

I purchased a 42" Panasonic Plasma TV from the reduced section 5 years ago at Sam's. Regular price at the time was $1900, got it for $1150 reduced price in their reduced item section. $750 savings....thank you very much!!! That TV was great for 4 years where it then got some red vertical lines through it. I packed up the TV, grabbed my original receipt and got a full refund. After the return, I again went to their reduced item section where they had a 55" Samsung 3D LED TV. Regular price $2300, reduced item section price $1650 ($650 savings). So with my refund, I spent an additional $500 after owning the previous TV for 4 years and totally upgraded my TV. This TV is beautiful!!!

Just this past week, I had to use that return policy again. One summer I purchased a gas power washer ($250). Used it all summer, then near the end of the summer it started leaking gas from under the engine. I lost the receipt this time. I was still able to return it, but the only disclaimer was they would give me a store credit(gift card) for $250, since I didn't have the original receipt. Since it was the end of the summer they had these same power washers reduced to $200 to clear out inventory for winter items. I used the credit to buy another one....got an extra $50 spending cash also. Stored it over the winter and used it once the following summer. I used it about 6 times this summer and once again had the same problem of it leaking gas....and wouldn't you know it...I lost my damn receipt again after owning it for 2 years????!!! No problem, they looked up on my Sam's Club account and gave me my $200 in store credit. This time I purchased the $300 power washer with the Honda motor......and if that one goes bad....I'll return that one also. Try that ish at Best Buy, Home Depot, or the local mom and pop shop and see what happens.

At one time I also purchased a 50" Vizio Plasma TV. That TV went bad after owning it for 6 months. I tried to go through Vizio's warranty service, since it had a 1 year warranty and it was a complete nightmare trying to get warranty service, where I said "F it!!" and just returned it to Sam's Club instead. Got a full refund and turned around and bought a 50" Panasonic Plasma which had dropped down to the same price as that Vizio within that 6 months.

I also had an Apple iPod 40GB model fail on me after owning it for 2 years. Got a full refund, turned around and purchased the 160GB model 2 years later at the same price.

I now purchase the majority of my big price ticket items at Sam's Club because I know with 100% confidence that if I get a lemon or if anything EVER goes wrong, I won't be left in the dark paying for the repairs or hassles of trying to get that item fixed on my own.

So say what you want about Walmart.....but Sam's Club is the sh*t. Great prices, great value items, with a return policy that is killer and the store never looks like it's been raped and pilledged.

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-30-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Sergeant Seda
Just stay away from Wally world all together
Really though.....all retail stores that accept returns are prone to have this happen, and who would shop anywhere that didn't accept returns?

I mean I'm not trying to criticize the OP but all Oil containers usually come with a cap with a ring seal on them and that seal must have been broken. He must have been in a hurry or something and just didn't look close enough to look if the seal was broken. It really doesn't take much effort to quickly look at the cap and be able to tell if the seal is broken or not. It's also the minimum wage clerk's fault for not inspecting the returned item and not noticing the broken seal and therefore inspecting the contents. It's kind of like grabbing a gallon of milk. If you don't spend some time and look to make sure the seal on the cap of the gallon of milk isn't broken then you kind of open yourself up to bad things like this happening, and relying on a minimum wage clerk probably isn't the smartest thing to do either. And really??? Who though, doesn't check to see the seal hasn't been broken when buying a gallon of milk...or medications for that matter? Those items could lead to life or death situations....but making sure what your dumping into your $30K+ vehicle probably comes in close behind.

Chaulk it up as a learning experience and I bet next time they buy oil they'll pay a little closer attention.

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-30-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OH9JK
SCAM

I purchase my oil from WalMart because it is TEN DOLLARS a container cheaper than my local auto parts store who does not match price on oil.
Ditto on the price difference, and to the penny. Our local national-chain auto parts store wants about 38 bucks for 5 quarts of Mobil 1 5W30. It's around 28 bucks at Wally-World. Add in the price difference of the extra quart and it adds up to a significant amount of money. I'd be curious to know how the national-chain store justifies the outrageous price difference -- I mean, they're also a national chain and they specialize in auto parts, so you'd think they would have some buying power with Mobil, too.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I was getting oil for the first time from a walmart today. I pick up one of the jugs and I notice that there was some yellowing around the silver cap. Sure enough it was used. Found 2 others on the shelf that way. WalleyWorld just doesn't get it, do they?
Old 08-04-2012, 09:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wally-World would'nt get a penny from me if it weren't for oil.

I don't love my local parts store enough to pay 20% more per oil change.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Had a similar thing happen to me, but at autozone. Bought some break pads, got everything apart and ready for the new ones, open the box to find they are not only the right ones, but where worn down worse than mine were. Check your stuff before you purchase.... Some people suck!

Quick Reply: Walmart oil scam WARNING