Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Walmart oil scam WARNING

Old 07-29-2012, 06:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picked up a nice Coleman tent at Target the other day. Today I opened it up to make sure everything was there. Guess what? Yup! Both the tent and the stakes had dirt on them. Its not just Walmart. They all do it.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Up until about 4 years ago i was all about Wal-mart, and the products that they sold. I was semi-broke up until this point and time in my life. For some reason i started trying to avoid wal-mart and all of their products, but i do have a Sams club membership that i use for some high use items. I have found that if i go to a local retailer or mom and pop store, for auto supplies that i get exactly what i need, with out some 18 year old high school drop out trying to sell me something that i dont need and they no nothing about. I have also found that if you frequent these places the owner / managers will know you by name, and will some times hook you up when it comes to the high dollar parts when you have to spend major money. So you have to weigh it out, not just the price of the items that you are buying, but how about your contributions to your local economy.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:48 PM
JK Freak

I try not to shop at Walmart. The parking sucks ass, and the products are junk. The only thing I do go there for, is to get pictures printed.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:06 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Wallmart's low prices really helped me out when buying Mobil 1 oil.

At the local VIP Auto Parts store, there is a big difference in their price for a quart of Mobil 1 5W-30, from the price at Walmart, VIP being higher.

I asked VIP if they price match. They said yes, plus 200% of the difference.
So, I ended up with 18 quarts of the stuff, for the price Walmart would have charged, plus a VIP gift card for $87.70, no expiration date.

Another way to look at it is, each quart of Mobil 1 5W30 costs only $1.52. Not bad at all.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

LOL..if you spend less than $500 on a mountain bike, and or it comes from any place but a real bike shop, thats what you'll get every time!

Originally Posted by keithsfd7
I had purchase a mountain bike from Walmart. After about 2 days use, both pedals broke and the oil was leaking out of the front rock shocks. I had zip tied the pedals back together initially just thinking it was cheap pedals but when the shock started leaking I decided to return it. A few days later a friend of mine was there and saw it back on the rack, zip ties and all. That's just crazy!
Old 07-29-2012, 10:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ZMagic97
And people ask why I'm against Walmart. It's not so much the company as it is more about the people that shop there.
True that! There are some things I get there since they are so cheap. Everytime, I wounder why the hell I go back. Defenitely not the shopping haven of the rich and famous.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:54 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by swaite3
Not walmarts fault, it's some scumbag who ripped them and you off
True story. I go to purchase a set of Stanley Tools that I could use for work and grab a set that was $69.99. I get to the register and it rings up $5.00! I say "$5.00?????" The cashier says, "yes, $5.00 sir".

Turns out someone pulled a label off a plastic tool box and put it over the UPC on the Stanley Tool set. They thought I was nuts telling them it was $69.99 and paid for it at the real price. When looking closer at it you could see the label which can off easily as it was already peeling at the edges.

It amazes me the lengths people will go to and steal to save a few bucks. The funny thing about it was the cashier not having a clue that a 20 pound 100 piece tool set costing more than $5.00.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:01 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by RRCP08JK
The funny thing about it was the cashier not having a clue that a 20 pound 100 piece tool set costing more than $5.00.
I guess most of what the cashier rings up is junk, and 25¢ a pound seemed reasonable.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:19 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I shop at Sam's Club (read owned by Walmart). They sell the good stuff at Sam's at the best price around and the $50 yearly membership seems to keep the majority of scum bags who shop at Walmart away. So if you want the best of both world's spend the $50 membership. I do my weekly grocery shopping at Sam's and it makes the $50 well worth it in the money I save. Not to mention the no questions asked return policy has saved me many times....even when I've lost my original receipt.
Beware of places with a no questions asked return policy. Places like this you avoid. Home Depot was like that and they finally changed there policy now they look at and inspect everything being returned to them. Its common sense.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RRCP08JK
True story. I go to purchase a set of Stanley Tools that I could use for work and grab a set that was $69.99. I get to the register and it rings up $5.00! I say "$5.00?????" The cashier says, "yes, $5.00 sir".

Turns out someone pulled a label off a plastic tool box and put it over the UPC on the Stanley Tool set. They thought I was nuts telling them it was $69.99 and paid for it at the real price. When looking closer at it you could see the label which can off easily as it was already peeling at the edges.

It amazes me the lengths people will go to and steal to save a few bucks. The funny thing about it was the cashier not having a clue that a 20 pound 100 piece tool set costing more than $5.00.
"Someone pulled the label"

Quick Reply: Walmart oil scam WARNING