Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Walmart oil scam WARNING

Old 07-29-2012, 06:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I am scared now I just bought 3 oil changes worth of oil from Walmart

Last edited by Tonka_yellow; 07-29-2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sergeant Seda
Ive have bought plenty of stuff from walmart. It a matter of where you live. walmart in the city = trash. walmart in the country = great. I mean literally there is a huge difference it kinda funny. At my walmart the sell brand name.
Don't kid yourself. Walmart makes deals with brand-name manufacturers to get cheaper products made exclusively for Walmart. Same brand, crappier product than other stores, but lower price. You get what you pay for.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Scott-BC
Don't kid yourself. Walmart makes deals with brand-name manufacturers to get cheaper products made exclusively for Walmart. Same brand, crappier product than other stores, but lower price. You get what you pay for.

Very true statement. Remember there is a reason why certain stores will sell for less.

Last edited by JKJA10; 07-29-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Never shop at Walmart. Problem solved.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's not just Walmart, same thing happened to me at auto zone.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by magnumd69
never shop at walmart. Problem solved.
x2 !!!!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2012, 09:43 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Sergeant Seda
Ive have bought plenty of stuff from walmart. It a matter of where you live. walmart in the city = trash. walmart in the country = great. I mean literally there is a huge difference it kinda funny. At my walmart the sell brand name.

This is so true it's not ev en funny. The ones in the urban areas around me I avoid like the plague, the ones further out are awesome, always have stock are clean and have pleasant workers.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scott-BC
Although this is actually true, they don't do that with all brands, just a select few like some tire brands. Most all products are no different than anywhere else, motor oil included. Supertech products are actually very good and are really name brand items sold as generics.

The main reason for their prices is that they buy in bulk and have low overhead costs, ie. don't pay their employees top dollar, and handle their own logistics & distribution.

As for urban vs. rural Walmarts, it's like night & day. Some of the inner city ones look like they've been looted (and they have) with stuff thrown everywhere and dollar store products being sold to the lower class masses. Walmart does take VERY closely into account dermographics, and depending on an area's average income it will have a huge affect on the products sold there. That's another strategy WM uses, closely monitoring what items are sold more and where, and meeting those demands.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Had about the samething happen except I got ATF instead of oil
Old 07-29-2012, 05:58 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Incognito
Although this is actually true, they don't do that with all brands, just a select few like some tire brands. Most all products are no different than anywhere else, motor oil included. Supertech products are actually very good and are really name brand items sold as generics.
im here to tell you they do this w/ name brand items, especially electronics
and they do it with other good where they ALTER the size / weight of the contents.

suppliers will do just about ANYTHING to get their stuff on the shelf in the more than 12k stores...its a margin game from EVERYONE involved.

Quick Reply: Walmart oil scam WARNING