Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wal-Mart refused to install my tires

Old 12-17-2009, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robin
how hard is it to work with tpms?..........
Apparently not too hard, my mechanic said "I've never done a TPMS tire, let's see if I can figure it out." Half hour later he was done and everything was fine.

Jeff
Old 12-17-2009, 12:37 PM
JK Junkie

TPMS on the JK is one of the simpler setups. I believe it's just built into the valve stem components.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Walmart is only good for one thing! selling crap real cheap!!!
The guys in the automotive dept. are minimum wage, retards (mostly) that cant get a job at a good shop because of no experience, no training, etc...
Any person that can prove they know the difference between a screwdriver and a drill can work at Wally world as a mechanic!
I would NEVER take any vehicle there for ANY type of work!!!!!
I would'nt even trust them goober heads to check the air in my tires!!!!
Do yourself a favor and spend the couple extra bucks to have a real tire shop do the work......
P.S. if you do work for the big "W" and do have training from a good shop, sorry for you're luck, but disregard the "retard" tag.... I did say "mostly"!
Old 12-17-2009, 02:23 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Detn8RYellow
Your right, it is part of the valve stem, them problem is, if the tire installer is not careful when he uses his pry bars to remove and install the tires, he will break it off while spinning the wheel.]
You nailed it Detn8R! A few years back in 2005 my Dodge Magnum R/T was in for tire swap. The tire shop destroyed all 4 TPMS on my rims. The lad did not know and as he was removing the tire the pry bar destroyed them. This was the first time the tire shop had seen TPMS on rims.

Tire shop was out $280.00 for the damage.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:07 PM
JK Junkie

Okay Guys. I learnt... I will never ever go to Wal-Mart with the Jeep
Old 12-17-2009, 07:30 PM
JK Freak

It's stories like this that make me even more thankful to have a close friend who owns a shop and can do all of this stuff for me.

Hope it all works out for you and you find a better place for a good price.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:22 PM
JK Freak

I once took my old WJ to wal-mart for an oil change. After waiting for 45 minutes, I hear them call my name over the intercom.

I found out that they were having problems and could not change my oil.

The reason was (other than them being complete morons) they could not remove the oil filler cap!
Old 12-18-2009, 07:11 PM
JK Super Freak

So does that mean Wal-mart does not do tires on 2007+ Vehicles ??? Since all new vehicles have TPMS now ..
Old 12-18-2009, 07:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn walmart, you were lucky they didn't change your tires. Spend a little more somewhere else.

I had my tires swapped to MTs when I had only about 100 miles on the jeep. Went to walmart since it was so cheap. I ended up with 2 wheels with chipped off paint along the outer lip and just inside of it. I bitched about it and the fact that they damaged 2 brand new rims. They said they didn't do it and it was impossible for their equipment to damage a rim. I ended up writing a detailed letter to walmart who then contacted me to discuss it. I told them to forget it and that they lost my future business. Now I go to target instead
Old 12-18-2009, 07:43 PM
JK Freak

Would never go to wal-mart and will never go back to discount or bigO. These places are as bad as wallyworld as far as I am concerned. The local discount uses impact wrenches set to kill and pays no attention to tightening patterns. I have replaced warped rotors on another car thanks to them. The last BigO I went to either couldn't or chose not to honor my simple request to mount the BFG AT's on my XJ blackwall out. I should have made them redo it but I'm a D*&k, told them all they were f@#*ing retards and went on my merry way. I'll use some of the smaller local shops from now on regardless of price.

Quick Reply: Wal-Mart refused to install my tires