Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Void Warranty

Old 07-12-2009, 02:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Void Warranty

Has anyone had a problem, or know of a problem with the lifetime powertrain warranty being void if there is evidence of offroading/mudding on the Jeep?
Old 07-12-2009, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

My dealer said its good on oem parts no matter what!!!! but I've read alot on here about guys having problems with their dealers... so I guess it depends on if you're dealer is cool or not......
Old 07-12-2009, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

tell them u live on a dirt road, and if they dnt want u to go in dirt then why do they have commercials of jeeps and pictures of jeeps offroading in the advertisments.

a dealer tried that shit with the boot on my front drive shaft. he said i went off road and i said no shit its a jeep.

then i went to a different dealer and they took care of me.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:04 AM
gpb
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, different dealer time. Or if you want to have fun, get them to give you a copy of the glossy brochure/booklet with the Jeep Wrangler models. I have a copy of the 2009 booklet.

There's not a single picture of a Jeep on pavement. It's all rocks, sand, dirt trails, and one with mud/water up to the bumper.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
Just read your Warranty booklet. The one in your glovebox with your owners manual.

You will find all your answers there. It doesn't matter what the dealer tells you. They cannot change your Warranty contract.
True, but look closely at your warranty booklet. Section 3.6 in the 2008 to be exact:

"3.6 Other Exclusions
Your warranties don’t cover the costs of repairing
damage or conditions caused by any of the following:
• misuse — for example, driving over curbs or
overloading;"

Seems like a big loophole for the dealer. "Sorry, sir. The repair to your transfer case wasn't covered under warranty because there's a scuff on your tire that is exactly curb-height. Your bill will be $2,435 + labor + shop supplies + tax. Have a nice day!"
Old 07-13-2009, 04:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea the warranty specifically excludes damage done to components. If the component fails due to poor manufacture then it is covered. They also have to prove it was your fault when it needs service. Therefore they have to show you the part in the condition you presented it in. If they deny you the option to look at it then they can't collect payment because they can't prove anything, in theory.

In essence you need to find a dealer who won't give you crap for repairs. If they give you trouble then you can go somewhere else.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Evidence of offroading should not be a way out if it can be reasonably assumed that the repair is not a direct result of it...

It should be on you though if you mess something up while offroading.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you did something stupid like hydrolock it then they wouldn't cover it. Other than that, you should be good to go unless you were seriously abusing it.

I heard about a guy who bent an axle in a tough trucks competition and tried to take it into the dealership to get it fix. They knew about it, but knew the guy so they were actually going get it covered for him unless he lied about it. They asked him if he'd jumped the Jeep and he said no. They turned the monitor around and showed him a pic of his Jeep airborne and denied his claim. Funny store a friend of mine who used to be a Jeep service advisor told me.

Last edited by Atl JK; 07-13-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:37 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the help. Sounds like I should be alright.

Quick Reply: Void Warranty