Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

VIN question

Old 05-15-2007, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIN question

Quick question....my dealer has told me that my JK will be here in 2-3 weeks. He has promised that it will be here and is telling me to put my car up for sale. He gave me a 8 digit number and says it is the last 8 digits of the VIN and that is all he has access to. He also said that is all I need to check on the status.

Seems strange because it has only been 3 months, but I was initally told about 5-6 months. I'm not selling my car untill my JK arrives, but he swears that it will be here in 2 or 3 weeks. Is he just blowing smoke up my a$$?
Old 05-15-2007, 06:21 PM
JK Newbie

I don't think he would want you to make a life changing move like selling your car unless he was really sure. If you can get the whole VIN out of him check this out.....

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ghlight=status

maybe if you call they can help you with the 8 you have.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:51 PM
JK Newbie

When you call DCX, the prompts ask for only the last portion of your VIN. You might be able to use what the dealer gave you to get a status, but it's pretty shady on your dealer's part. I don't see why they wouldn't have the full VIN. I'd be wary of that. You should probably ask to talk to the sales manager. My salesman was being unresponsive when I asked for the VIN, but a quick call to the sales manager got things rolling in a hurry. Had the VIN in no time.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure about shipping to Canada but my sig has my vin date and I went KZM yesterday. I should have it in 7-10 days. SO a week after I got my VIN I shipped from the plant.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Omega Man
Not sure about shipping to Canada but my sig has my vin date and I went KZM yesterday. I should have it in 7-10 days. SO a week after I got my VIN I shipped from the plant.

Then you have me, who HAS my VIN, but I'm in D status.......so is there really any rhyme or reason?
Kelly
Old 05-16-2007, 05:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by y2ksir
Quick question....my dealer has told me that my JK will be here in 2-3 weeks. He has promised that it will be here and is telling me to put my car up for sale. He gave me a 8 digit number and says it is the last 8 digits of the VIN and that is all he has access to. He also said that is all I need to check on the status.

Seems strange because it has only been 3 months, but I was initally told about 5-6 months. I'm not selling my car untill my JK arrives, but he swears that it will be here in 2 or 3 weeks. Is he just blowing smoke up my a$$?
I had the same thing happen to me last week. Getting the last 8 numbers of your VIN is typical here in that its all you need to track your vehicle....completely normal.

I know this b/c I bug my buddy constantly about what is going on, and this is my 3rd Jeep order (1998, 2003, 2007)....I have a pretty reliable source who's been working in the industry for 15 years at management level (hence how I got mine for cost + a lower interest rate!)

Anyway, seems the first orders for the JK were indeed taking a lot longer than the ones ordered recently in the spring. By the time they got all their issues sorted out with the new builds and trying to meet the demand, the wait was long. I ordered mine April 19, (and as mentioned) got my VIN last week and apparently it will be arriving in about 3 weeks as well. Smoke up your ass? Probably not...as you've heard they've canceled and cut off a lot of orders for the end of 2007 so your chances of getting it soon are pretty good.

Re: the tracking post found here on the front page as a sticky someone pointed out in this thread...don't bother. You can get through pretty quickly and painlessly, give the operator your last 8 digits of your VIN, but then they will tell you they can't give you any info as the Jeep is allocated to Canada and you need to call the Canadian Customer Service line. When you call the Canadian line, the office you reach won't have the info on your vehicle, they'll refer you to your dealer....point is, only works for American customers.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

So is their any way for a Canadian customer to track his/her order? How did you get your info on yours?
Old 05-16-2007, 01:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was told (two weeks ago) that my JK was to be here today and it is still in storage in Windsor, Ontario waiting to be put on a train. I have the full VIN number but I got it from DC Canada customer support. My dealer gave me that last 8 digits and from that I was able to get the rest from DC Canada. I also got my build sheet.

I wouldn't trust the dealer if they say your JK will be here in 2 weeks.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

do you happen to have the number for DC here in Canada. I will try to call them
Old 05-17-2007, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

I have been getting updates through the dealer, but i'm skeptical of their info, as its usually pretty vague.

I just tried the US line again for kicks, and this time (after pressing 5 and following the prompts) they collected my info, and were able to give me D status along with a reference number....they also said for further inquiries I can get the same info from the Canadian offices at 1.800.465.2001....

SO (as the patient fellow I am) I called the Canadian offices to make sure the stories match up....and they stick to their original story that they dont have that information in their offices and can not access it...they say only the dealer has this info....BS!

Moral of the story is, call the US line and be polite and hope for the best....as they may or may not give you the info...!

Quick Reply: VIN question