Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

A very little rant (self emposed)

Old 08-22-2012, 05:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A very little rant (self emposed)

Here's the short story. I changed out my differential covers to ARB's yesterday. Did a search beforehand to make sure I read as much as I could and was doing all of the right things. Here is where not knowing what you don't know and not finding the information anywhere pisses me off just a little.

Everything I read said it takes about 5 courts to do the job, front and back. One would assume that means 2 & 1/2 courts in each differential (both D44's). The info with the ARB covers don't mention anything. I went to the dowloaded Jeep manual and it mentions the type of fluid (75x90wt) but nothing about how much. You have a dipstik on the ARB covers and it tells you how to check but you can't read it like an oil dipstick even though I checked several times on both before adding more fluid.

Bottom line is I am blowing out differential fluid from the axle breathing tube. Not a big problem I am told but a mess. I guess too much is better than too little but why wouldn't the manual say to put 1 & 3/4 qts in the front and 2 & 1/2 in the back. Is everyone supposed to be born with this knowledge? I guess chalk it up to learning on the fly but what if this had damaged something. This is what makes me cautious about what I do vs paying to have something done. It's not the big stuff but the little stuff that you don't know and don't want to find out the hard way. Just saying

Last edited by jim hensley; 08-22-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. Every time I attempt a DIY project it seems that some little piece on information gets left out and there are several extra runs to the store to be able to complete something or things leak (like in your case). Glad nothing was damaged and at least I learned something from you when I am able to do this to mine! Thanks for the info.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:46 AM
MTG
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here.

And I spent some time yesterday trying to figure out diff fluid level as well.

Quick Reply: A very little rant (self emposed)