Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Used warn vs new smitty bilt

Old 12-05-2014, 04:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used warn vs new smitty bilt

I'm in the market for a winch, I want about 10k lbs and synthetic line.

I have the chance to buy a warn 9.5ti with no remote for about $300, it's got steel cable on it so I plan to change it that's about $200 plus $30 for the fairlead mount for my crawler conceptz bumper, I figure another $30 for a hawse fairlead and about $50 for a controller for a total of about $610

Or I could but the smittybilt x20 10 for $549 plus the fairlead mount for another $30 so total of about $580.

Is the warn an enough better winch to justify spending $30 more on a used one than a new Smittybilt? Of should I just stick to the Smittybilt?
Old 12-05-2014, 05:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Smittys have gotten decent reviews but thinking longer term, I'd trust Warn. With minimal price difference, go Warn.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

agreed.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I would pay for a brand new one I know hasn't been abused at all. Yeah a new one could be faulty, but then you just test it out in a safe environment before you rely on it.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

The good thing about Warn is that parts are normally available, even for older units.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:51 AM
JK Newbie

I would go new unless you know the history on the Warn. You also will get some sort of manufacturer's warranty with a new one. 300 bucks for that Warn is pretty cheap considering it retails for 1300. I would be wary and at least test its operation first.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me, there is only one winch manufacturer in the world... Warn
Old 12-06-2014, 05:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Baddkarmaracing
I'm in the market for a winch, I want about 10k lbs and synthetic line.

I have the chance to buy a warn 9.5ti with no remote for about $300, it's got steel cable on it so I plan to change it that's about $200 plus $30 for the fairlead mount for my crawler conceptz bumper, I figure another $30 for a hawse fairlead and about $50 for a controller for a total of about $610

Or I could but the smittybilt x20 10 for $549 plus the fairlead mount for another $30 so total of about $580.

Is the warn an enough better winch to justify spending $30 more on a used one than a new Smittybilt? Of should I just stick to the Smittybilt?
You don't use a hawse fairlead for steel cable. The hawse is generally used on synthetic. Roller fairleads are better for steel cable. The Smittybilt comes with either a roller or hawse fairlead depending on which version you buy.

I have the Gen2 X20 Comp and only paid $600 for it.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:46 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
You don't use a hawse fairlead for steel cable. The hawse is generally used on synthetic. Roller fairleads are better for steel cable. The Smittybilt comes with either a roller or hawse fairlead depending on which version you buy.

I have the Gen2 X20 Comp and only paid $600 for it.
I plan on putting synthetic line on it, that's the reason for the hawse.

Originally Posted by JDM74
I would go new unless you know the history on the Warn. You also will get some sort of manufacturer's warranty with a new one. 300 bucks for that Warn is pretty cheap considering it retails for 1300. I would be wary and at least test its operation first.
It's coming from a good friend that owns a car lot, he bought a truck that had the winch on it in a repo sale, winch cable looks brand new im only replacing because I prefer synthetic. He used the winch to pull a stuck truck out at his car lot and I saw it get used, on of his guy didn't knkw what the controller was and threw it away when they were detailing the truck.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Baddkarmaracing
... a truck that had the winch on it in a repo sale...
That right there is enough to tell me to stay away. First, you have no way to verify usage/care of the winch. The pull you saw your buddy do could have been the first ever or it could have been the 10,000th all of which were over limit and the line was replaced before it was repossessed. Second,I wouldn't trust someone to properly care for their winch if they can't even care for their vehicle enough to pay for it.

Quick Reply: Used warn vs new smitty bilt