Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Unlimited?

Old 12-10-2007, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unlimited?

Hello all. Just joined the board since I'm looking for an Unlimited. I'm in the process of selling my 600HP Trailblazer SS, and as soon as I can find a buyer for that it is time to get back into a Jeep. I've been reading the heck out of this forum for a few weeks now, and have a pretty good grasp on most of the new info on the JK's. I do however have a few questions still.

How do you guys like the automatic tranny in the Unlimited? I always swore I would never buy an automatic Wrangler, but I also never thought I would own one as a daily driver. With a 2-year old daughter on board, it just seems like it would make a lot more sense. Plan is 3" lift and 35's, so let me know what you think.

Also, what options can you not live without? Seems like the power window/locks package is a no-brainer. Anything else?

I think I also saw somewhere that the dana44 rear wasn't standard on the 07'. Any truth to that? If so, what else do I need to know if I am planning on buying a used 07' instead of a new 08'?

Thanks!!!
Old 12-10-2007, 04:20 PM
JK Super Freak

If you want the Lifetime Powertrain warranty you will have to buy an 08...the warranty only applies to the 1st owner so it wont be valid on a 2007.

Unless you are in Canada.....we don't have lifetime warranties period :(

My 2 cents is order a 2008 and get exactly what you want....dont settle.

Yes, you will have to wait a couple months for it...but it will be worth it!

I have the auto tranny...i was in the same boat as you were.....I thought buying a JK with an auto tranny would be like buying a Mustang or a Porsche with an auto tranny...STUPID! I opted for the Auto as it gets slightly better gas mileage and there is way too much traffic out here to be playing with a manual tranny. Whatever you go with you will be happy.....WHY???? It's a JEEP thing!

Last edited by Matador; 12-10-2007 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Matador
If you want the Lifetime Powertrain warranty you will have to buy an 08...the warranty only applies to the 1st owner so it wont be valid on a 2007.
the lifetime warranty applies to 2007's that are still new and on the lot as well.

OP:
concerning automatic vs manual...it's really just a matter of personal preference. i have a manual unlimited with 4.10 gears and i get 20-21 mpg daily driving. the longest trip i've taken was around 500 miles where i averaged better than 24mpg. personally, i don't plan on owning another automatic....ever. i like to drive my ride, not the other way around. aside from that, it's just my own experience (yours may vary) that automatics are more problematic. every automatic i've owned (all three of them!) has developed expensive transmission problems. it's fair if you want to chalk that up to operator error, though i doubt that's the issue. in either case, automatics and i don't get along very well and have mutually agreed to distance ourselves from one another.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have automatic...the wife has a stick! The auto was great on medium trails. It seems doggy sometimes but you learn to turn OD off when dribving in town. No worries!
Old 12-10-2007, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by benmar2000
All 07 JK Unlimiteds came with a rear D44.. It was the 07 JK 2 door that had the optional D35.. Also, if you got the tow package, it came with 4.10 gears..

So let me get this straight, the 07 JK Unlimiteds that have the tow package automatically have the 4.10's? Does this mean if it has a factory tow hitch on it, it has the 4.10's? So far that has been the hardest part for me, figuring out what gears an Unlimited has if it is sitting on the used lot. 3.23's ain't gonna cut it on 35's. 4.10's should be fine for a little while. I've seen used 07' Unlimited Sahara's down here with an asking price of like $22K used.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:54 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Westbayou
So let me get this straight, the 07 JK Unlimiteds that have the tow package automatically have the 4.10's? Does this mean if it has a factory tow hitch on it, it has the 4.10's? So far that has been the hardest part for me, figuring out what gears an Unlimited has if it is sitting on the used lot. 3.23's ain't gonna cut it on 35's. 4.10's should be fine for a little while. I've seen used 07' Unlimited Sahara's down here with an asking price of like $22K used.
any 2007 JK that came with the tow package has 4.10 gears; don't be fooled by those that installed a tow hitch after they bought the JK - doesn't guarantee anything. any automatic transmission 2007 JK made after ~february has 4.10 gears. any rubicon has 4.10 gears. and to my understanding, the only 2008 JK's with 4.10's are the rubicons. finally, there might be a few out there that are neither rubicon nor equipped with tow package, but have 4.10's (like mine). hope this makes sense to you.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yup, makes sense. Seems like a pretty good reason to buy an 07. I wonder why they changed that for 08?
Old 12-11-2007, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Sahara, no tow package, but 4.10s. You are definately going to miss that 600hp!!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, I figure I will miss the power, the luxury, oh and embarrassing Corvettes and Mustangs. What I won't miss is the monster payment.

I am REALLY leaning towards a Sahara now just for the extra creature comforts. I spent a few months driving my 90 YJ with no air or anything comfortable for that matter, and it got pretty old. Seems like the Sahara will offer a little more without costing me that much more to buy. I would love a Rubi, but at the end of the day I realize I just don't NEED a Rubi. I'll most likely end up replacing the wheels, so the 18's won't really be an issue. Any other reasons I should be looking at a Sahara over an X???
Old 12-11-2007, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Westbayou
Any other reasons I should be looking at a Sahara over an X???
I have no major beefs with the engine, yes it could be ballsier, but life will go on.

When I bought, I compared an X built with the same stuff in a Sahara - '07 remember. There was about a $1000 difference in the two. The seats were the only major difference that I can remember. The fabric in the Sahara - the YES material - was not available in the X. I have kids, I wanted the YES. I saw the dealer take a bean burrito and smear it all over, then wipe it clean. Nothing left, I got the Sahara.

Quick Reply: Unlimited?