Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Unforeseen consequences of going topless

Old 04-22-2011, 04:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have never thought of that happening, now it makes me think twice.
When Paragon was open, I remember riding back from VooDoo and the Undertaker and a guy on a quad was going down hill and managed to roll the quad on its side. I stopped and went to lend him a hand and thought I was being burnt by the exhaust pipe, when I looked down there was a nest of white faced bee's or wasp or whatever, they stung the hell out of my leg and I was dancing away thru the brush. Luckily another member in my trail group had a first aid kit that had some type of sting ointment and I promptly rubbed hat on and put an ice pack on my leg. Using the clutch the rest of the day was a bit of a pain, literally.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:15 AM
JK Freak

I had a bee/hornet fly in with the doors off and it somehow got behind my lower back. Stung me 4 times before I could find it. I Damn near got down to my underwear and shoes in the middle of a street before I could find it to kill it.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by gtrman33
That sucks. Could have been worse though.

Never had problems with the top down yet but I did have my visor up and sunglasses on once while riding my motorcycle and a wasp flew in my helmet and began stinging me repeatedly in the temple.

Wasps don't pollinate flowers, they just F things up.
Ain't that the truth. I was recording my kids soccer game and a red wasp cam flying by, I never moved and that evil fukker flew up to me and immediately stung me on my head. Seems like wasp also like my Jeep, not sure if it is the red rock or what. Was sitting in it a work and one flew in, I go out.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:33 AM
JK Freak

BIRD POOP. I been hit once and have had to clean it off my seats dozen times of the last 12 years in a Jeep.

As far as Deer, 5 years ago when driving in WV in my wife's Honda a deer ran into the side of the car at 70mph, with the window down. Deer head was almost completely decapitated. I have pics but don't think anyone wants to see that.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:49 AM
JK Newbie

Interior covered in pollen. Bird poop also good idea to have seat covers
Old 04-22-2011, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by adammj
I love my JK and in exchange for enjoying the wonderful southern California weather, I accept the minor drawbacks to going topless...

Rain - Sure
Dust - Definitely
Sunburns - All part of the fun

Being stopped at a train crossing when suddenly a SWARM OF BEES descends onto the street - More than I bargained for!

With nowhere to go except forward into the train or backwards into a garbage truck, I did the only thing I could and froze like a mime in a box while hundreds (probably thousands) of bees buzzed around the open-air cab.

I'm pretty sure I left some molten tread on the pavement when the crossing arms finally lifted. Luckily, no stings! Although, I found two bees buzzing around in the garage later in the evening and one blasted out of my A/C vent when I turned the heater on a bit ago.

Anyone else have some good stories of their top-down close encounters with nature?

I'm getting a visual of that scene from Tommy Boy...

"Your firearms are useless against them!"
Old 04-22-2011, 10:49 AM
JK Freak

We had a swarm of bees in our driveway a couple of summers ago and had to leave the house. We got in our topless Jeep, turned it on, opened the garage door, and ducked down while we backed out. Luckily, none of the bees got trapped inside with us! I was envisioning the entire swarm pressed against the inside of the windshield
Old 04-22-2011, 08:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I haven't had to deal with bees while being topless, but late last spring I had the roof and doors off, and was over an hour away from home fishing with a neighbor. We're standing in the middle of the river, and some black clouds started rolling in with some rumbles of thunder. Our first thought was a river wasn't the safest place in the world if some lightning started flashing , and with the top off we decided the best place was about two miles up the road at a gas station.

We threw the fishing rods in the back, took off up the road, and as soon as I pulled under the canopy by the gas pumps, the sky opened, absolutely pouring rain! Seriously, we hadn't been parked for a minute! Lightning, thunder, frog-strangling rain. Fortunately all our gear stayed dry, and the storm passed in about 30 minutes and we got back to fishing. But for a short time there I thought I was going to use the drain plugs for the first time.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Carl Spackler
I'm getting a visual of that scene from Tommy Boy...

"Your firearms are useless against them!"
Was thinking the same thing... Gotta love Chris Farley, even though he's dead. Sadface.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:24 PM
JK Newbie

I was in Death Valley a few summers ago with just the windows down. A Tarantula Hawk flew in, it didn't sting me but I jumped out so fast it's a good thing I stalled the engine.

Quick Reply: Unforeseen consequences of going topless