Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Unforeseen consequences of going topless

Old 04-21-2011, 09:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Unforeseen consequences of going topless

I love my JK and in exchange for enjoying the wonderful southern California weather, I accept the minor drawbacks to going topless...

Rain - Sure
Dust - Definitely
Sunburns - All part of the fun

Being stopped at a train crossing when suddenly a SWARM OF BEES descends onto the street - More than I bargained for!

With nowhere to go except forward into the train or backwards into a garbage truck, I did the only thing I could and froze like a mime in a box while hundreds (probably thousands) of bees buzzed around the open-air cab.

I'm pretty sure I left some molten tread on the pavement when the crossing arms finally lifted. Luckily, no stings! Although, I found two bees buzzing around in the garage later in the evening and one blasted out of my A/C vent when I turned the heater on a bit ago.

Anyone else have some good stories of their top-down close encounters with nature?

Last edited by adammj; 04-21-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that would have freaked me out. Im allergic to bee stings and that would have beena bad situation for me.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

That sucks. Could have been worse though.

Never had problems with the top down yet but I did have my visor up and sunglasses on once while riding my motorcycle and a wasp flew in my helmet and began stinging me repeatedly in the temple.

Wasps don't pollinate flowers, they just F things up.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:00 PM
JK Freak

Ha! Sorry I found it commical in my head...glad you got away though! thanks for the chuckle
Old 04-21-2011, 10:15 PM
JK Super Freak

when i was a kid i was stung by over 400 bees ever since the doctors said i could die from a sting I've been stung over 100 times that i can count so being it is painful but it is part of life out here in cal. but if that is all mothernature has to throw at us out here i'm game
Old 04-22-2011, 12:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

that's a pretty funny story...thanks for the laugh!
Old 04-22-2011, 01:07 AM
JK Freak

When I first rode top down with my now wife a wasp flew in, stung her a few times, and went on its way. I couldn't stop laughing, it was almost as if he made a visit just for her.

Sounds like you didn't get stung though, so that is good. All of our other encounters with nature have been the weather kind. But I am hoping for a squirrel to jump in sometime when my wife is in, or something like that.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

crazy story...lucky no jabs...
got stung maybe 20 times once when i was digging out a tree stump...
made me feel really sick for a few hours...

got stung centre chest once while riding my motorcycle...
caused a stir as i slid to a halt and threw off all my upper body clothes...
much to the amazement of peeps driving by...
must have looked like a loon ...
Old 04-22-2011, 03:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ive driven off to find a bird under my backseat that refused to fly away. Also, I live out in the country and we have cats that just roam around from farm to farm and Ive had random cats sleeping in my back seat but no damage. Im always afraid that a raccoon will get in and tear crap up over night but nothing yet.

Ive also learned my lesson about doors on when driving on gravel roads, went out for an hour drive on gravel roads once and litterally covered not only the inside of the jeep but also myself. I looked like a coal miner.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

First day I had the top down and the front doors off I took my wife for a ride. I didn't see them but she saw some deer about ready to bolt out of the woods. I slammed on my brakes as they went bounding across the road about 2 feet in front of the Jeep. She looks at me and says you realize if you had not have stopped they would have jumped in here with us. I laughed and said yea they probably would have.

Quick Reply: Unforeseen consequences of going topless